Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What am I gonna run?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What am I gonna run?!

I just ordered a cam from comp cams (don't have the specifics off hand for some reason I wanna say its a 220/240 cam but am a noob when it comes to cams) with new lifters, springs, and retainers. Will have it put in at the end of the month with a tune. The other mods are in my sig. big question....

What do you think I will run in the 1/4 mile?!

and

What do you think it will run on the dyno?!
Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

there is a section specifically for this, but anyway:

were your previous times with all mods in sig?

complete guess since i don't know the cam specs but somewhere around a 12.48ish at best

very very very rarely see people go faster than 12.5 on the stock converter N/A

Last edited by therealcreeper; 10-08-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

I didn't know there was a specific section for this but yes I ran a 12.8 with everything in my sig. and it's weird how you get people on here that run in the 12s with just a cam... I have seen threads where people ran like 12.6 with just a cam nothing else... so converter is a good investment too? hmmmm maybe i'll go with a converter and another tune after then just lots of money
Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

pretty much every person on here will tell you stall first, then cam. it will make a much bigger improvement in the 1/4 mile than a cam alone will. people knock off .5 to 1.0 second with sticky tires and a nice converter.

a cam will add some power but with the stock converter you're limited to a relatively small one. also, most cams don't make power into the higher rpms. since the engine has to start at such a low rpm with the stock stall it takes a long time for the engine to reach it's power band and utilize the additional power.

there's a lot more to drag racing than power. i would look into getting a stall before the cam, that way you can go to a much nicer cam when you have the funds. the converter will make a bigger difference for now, and the bigger cam will make a bigger difference than your current one later on. that way your setup isn't choked by the stock converter, plus you won't have to go back and redo the cam when you want to go bigger.