Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do 1.8 rocker arms help??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do 1.8 rocker arms help??

I gotta 2002 TA RA convert with slp airlid, bbk long tubes, ory, magnaflow cb. Will swapping the rocker arms with 1.8 make enough horspower and tourque gain to warrent the work. Just wondering.i want to get as much hp/tq without going into the motor. I know wishful thinking!!! any ideas guys and girls??? Great site by the way!!!! Thanks for any help in advance!!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1.8 rockers require better valve springs. When you add that to the cost and then figure the $/hp, it really isn't a worthwhile mod. If you do the work yourself, a cam is not much more and will provide a lot more power.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:13 PM

I forgot to say it has a m6 and 58k miles on it. So it would be better to save up and go with a cam? I was reading that a head and cam swap adds like 150 hp. Will a head and cam swap really have that much gain?? I've been a small block chevy man since i was big enough to pick up a wrench and i never saw that much of a gain from just that.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vettenuts
1.8 rockers require better valve springs. When you add that to the cost and then figure the $/hp, it really isn't a worthwhile mod. If you do the work yourself, a cam is not much more and will provide a lot more power.
I thought the only ls1's that needed valve springs when you replace the rockers were the 97-00, I thought the valve springs from 01-02 had ls6 valve springs and would be fine.

Also wouldn't he need new valve springs with a cam swap?
Old 10-22-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kookei69
I forgot to say it has a m6 and 58k miles on it. So it would be better to save up and go with a cam? I was reading that a head and cam swap adds like 150 hp. Will a head and cam swap really have that much gain?? I've been a small block chevy man since i was big enough to pick up a wrench and i never saw that much of a gain from just that.
Assuming you already have bolt ons a good average would be 40 heads and 50 cam. What heads/cam you get and how they match can change this some. I have seen 65 on a cam but no H/C packages will only get you 150. In extreme cases on a 346 it will include other mods like dished pistons, great miiled heads, great IM, great exhaust,UDP, EWP etc....RWHP BTW....