Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about 2002 Z28 LQ4 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about 2002 Z28 LQ4 Swap

Hello. I have been referring to this forum for a couple of years, so I think it was about time that I joined. I have a few questions about my plans to drop in a 6.0 LQ4 block into my 2002 Z28. My intention is to drive this car on the street and possibly the track once in a while. I am open to any suggestions you may have.

First, for the motor, I am seriously considering an LQ4 block. Basically, my plan is to get a decent motor from an auto recycler and freshen it up with a hone, new rings and new bearings (if needed).

For the valvetrain, I am planning on taking a look at a head/cam package from Texas speed. I am looking for a slightly choppy idle but nothing too aggressive. I have heard that the L92 heads are an awesome bargain and by using the 6.0 block I will have the necessary minimum bore of 4.00 to use these heads. The problem with this idea is that I want to use my stock LS6 intake and fuel injection set up and I am not sure if the L92 heads will work with the LS6 intake. Any suggestions on head/cam combinations would be most appreciate. I have also considered the 402/408 stroker kit from Texas Speed, but I think this may be a bit too much for my project. I am looking to get close to 500 HP. I realize that my computer will also need a custom tune to accomodate the different displacement and cam. Has anyone done a similar swap? Is there anything else that I am not thinking about? I want to plan out the project well so I dont run into any surprises later on. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick