Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help new to the LS1 motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help new to the LS1 motor

well guys, finished the swap. well now i have a oil leak. i replaced the oil pan gasket, real main seal. i did this after the swap was done. so i pulled the tran's and raised the motor. well its leaking again, dripping from between the trans and block. am i missing something. the leak seems to be worse now then it was. i have not pulled the tran's yet again to see where it is coming from. just looking for a little advise. so now the next problem is, that if i pull the tran's, i'am think just pull the motor and replace the main bearings and other stuff, maybe even a cam swap. the motor had 90 thousand miles on the clock

so if you got any advise for me, it will help
Old 11-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the plug in back of the crank. The LS1 has a plug behind the pilot bearing inside the crank, if someone messed it up changing the pilot bearing it may be leaking.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by O2Form
Could be the plug in back of the crank. The LS1 has a plug behind the pilot bearing inside the crank, if someone messed it up changing the pilot bearing it may be leaking.
my transs is auto. does that matter. because when you say pilot bearing, i think of clutch.

being reading on some oil leaks in search. the oil pressure switch, what all does it take to replace. being that mine is in an older car. it should just come straight out. is there a gasket too, or does it just screw in, do you use silcone.

help anyone
Old 11-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ACONLP
my transs is auto. does that matter. because when you say pilot bearing, i think of clutch.

being reading on some oil leaks in search. the oil pressure switch, what all does it take to replace. being that mine is in an older car. it should just come straight out. is there a gasket too, or does it just screw in, do you use silcone.

help anyone
since there is no pilot bearing its easier, there is a little freeze plug in the center of the crank, if its leaking replace it with a new one. also the oil pressure switch is on the rear of the motor right behind the intake manifold. it is a 1 wire sensor. the new one has a compound on the threads to seal it when screwing it back in. it seamed like liquid teflon i think.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ae13291
since there is no pilot bearing its easier, there is a little freeze plug in the center of the crank, if its leaking replace it with a new one. also the oil pressure switch is on the rear of the motor right behind the intake manifold. it is a 1 wire sensor. the new one has a compound on the threads to seal it when screwing it back in. it seamed like liquid teflon i think.
is it a freeze plug, or is it something special i need to ask for to replace it.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ACONLP
is it a freeze plug, or is it something special i need to ask for to replace it.
order it from the dealer i dont know if its just some regular plug. but it shouldent be more then 5 bucks from the dealer

it looks like a freeze plug pretty much tho
Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Launching!

well started to night on the oil leak again. done alot to the car and putting the oil leak to the side. pulling the trans this weekend