Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

estimated horsepower, any guesses?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default estimated horsepower, any guesses?

I am looking at a '99 Z28 Camaro at a body shop and want to get an idea of horsepower, ET and trap speed. The owner bought it at auction or something needing a passenger door and a little bodywork on the rear quarter which he's doing when he gets around to it (I haven't talked to him yet, just another guy at the shop).

It has the following that I can see: FAST intake with large TB, SLP air filter assembly, stainless fuel lines with aftermarket pressure regulator, aftermarket injectors, tubular headers, Dart heads, (looks like) flowmaster muffler. It has to have a cam too (of course).

I haven't looked at the driveshaft or rear end, but it has Baer brakes on the front and pretty wide 5 spoke vette style wheels so it looks like someone spent some money on it, the guy that owns it is going to ask about $6500 when it's done, is that a pretty good price?

Anyone with a similar setup have any performance figures, estimated numbers, any bench racing guesstimates on HP, trap speed, anything?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-14-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a good deal. Stock rear? The Dart heads can flow some good #s if ported right. They are a good FI head. I would check the drive train out real good before buying.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks, M6 transmission

1lejohn, thanks, I forgot to mention it's a M6 trans, just bench racing what kind of horsepower do you think it would make, maybe a range like poor combo of these parts (with maybe a non optimal cam) would be about XXX RWHP and good combo of these parts (with a well matched cam) would be about XXX RWHP or 1/4 or trap speed. I'm just trying to bench race to get an idea how it should perform.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Bench racing is retarted and in no way will truly give you an idea. Mods sound good and the assembly could be anywhere from 430>500 rwhp.
So think about it, how could we guess what it will make or do?, for $6500 fixed, it sounds like a good base for lots of fun, that is about as accurate as I could get.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Bench racing is retarted and in no way will truly give you an idea. Mods sound good and the assembly could be anywhere from 430>500 rwhp.
So think about it, how could we guess what it will make or do?, for $6500 fixed, it sounds like a good base for lots of fun, that is about as accurate as I could get.
Thanks, that's all I was looking for
Old 11-15-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Auction?? What kind of auction?? If I was looking at this, Id be asking myself if the title is clear and the car isnt scrap only.