Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody know why these pistons are different?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody know why these pistons are different?

I have two 6.0 engines sitting on engine stands side by side. According to LKQ (where they were both purchased) they are both 2006 engines. Both have 317 heads and appear to be identical engines. One has pistons with a very slight dish, the other has a little more pronounced dish and valve reliefs in the pistons. I don't have any pictures because the heads are still on both engines, but there is an obvious difference in the pistons. I was told that both engines were lq9 when i bought them, but that is apparently wrong. Just wondering why the pistons are different. It is my understanding that lq9 pistons are completely flat, right? Has anyone seen lq4 pistons with valve reliefs? And no, I doubt these are aftermarket pistons. I have paperwork showing both had less than 15k miles on them.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Teching In

I had a '06 LQ4 engine and half side came with dish pistons and the other half had dish and valve reliefs !??!?! but you got rob man cuz LQ9 have Flat top pistons, just like LS2.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Teching In

I don't feel too bad, because I got both of them at a "buddy" price. I am going to keep one that will end up with a turbo on it, so the lower compression is a good thing. I have a guy that is going to buy the other one. I just wondered what the difference was, so I would know which one I should keep.