Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interchangeable???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interchangeable???

Hey everyone, new guy here - with questions of course. First, sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, wasn't sure exactly where to go.

If I was to use a 5.3 or 6.0 iron block truck motor to set my car up and get it running would the mounts, etc., be the same and allow me to simply switch to the aluminum 5.7 block later? I am asking because I would assume that one can pick up a used truck motor relatively cheap. If worse came to worse, the GMPP replacement is only about $2600.

Also, say I went this route. Can I buy the $1222.31 GMPP LS1/6 block and just put all teh goods from the truck motor in it? Doesn't the truck motor have aluminum heads? THis would be a nice winter project. Have the machine work done, smooth, detail, and paint the block - then build the new motor and stick it in before spring. Feasible?

Thanks in advance

perk
Old 12-14-2003, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont bother looking at stock 5.3's. The heads alone are enough to turn away.
If you absolutely had to have a cheap temporary motor, you'd better go with a 6.0.

Personally, I'de just save the money for the 5.7 or whatever final engine you want. You'll be throwing money away.

As for truck heads. Dont bother, IMO.
The 6.0 heads have bigger chambers, bringing down your compression ratio.
The 5.3's have smaller chambers than 5.7's so they bring your C.R. up. But the trade off is you have smaller valves, so they wont be making anymore power in stock form.
Your best bet would be to get some CNC'd factory heads from one of the sponsors on the right. Great deals are popping up all the time, for heads that flow like a "*****".

good luck