Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between two timing chains? If any...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between two timing chains? If any...

I'm looking at timing chains right now and I have a question about two of the Cloyes Hex-A-Just chain sets:

http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...oducts_id=8859

http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...oducts_id=5714

What's the difference beyond one will also work with an LS2? Is there any difference? I know I'm exposing my ignorance, but I'm hoping to learn something...
Old 12-17-2009, 05:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Basically, its the cam sprocket. If you look closely (better information on the Cloyes web site, and if you call their tech line they are very helpful) you will see the 3153 set is simply a lightened sprocket whereas the 3158 (LS2 set) has the geometry setup for the cam sensor that is in the timing cover of an LS2. Chain should be the same, which is the LS2 chain made by Renold.

If you want a killer setup, call SDPC and get the IRL chain. This chain is no longer made but is the chain developed by Cloyes to support the Olds Aurora Indy motor (IRL = Indy Racing League). SDPC has several sets left, and once gone that's it. They can match it to either the LS1 or LS2 setup I believe although I thought I saw recently Cloyes was discontinuing the 3153 since the 3158 will fit either motor. Could be wrong on this one though.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info! I'm not really able to call companies right now though. I'm overseas and my shift results in me being asleep when people are working in the states. Nice clear explanation though!

Quick Reply: Difference between two timing chains? If any...