Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 Head question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '98 Head question

I want to do H/C/I. I have a set of 2X Cartek heads casting # 806. They are fresh and have a set of Comp 921's on them. My car is a 2000. What is needed to use these heads? I know I need a set of perimeter style covers. My buddy says he has a set. I searched and found that the coils mount directly to those style covers. Will mine bolt on them? Also I found in one thread a guy talking about those heads have a "notch" and you cant use a certain head gasket. I looked at the bottom of the heads and there is a "notch" on the exhaust side of the head. Is that what hes talking about? What about roller rockers with these valve covers? I seen some old posts,but no real answers. I have no money in these heads,which is why I want to use them. Someone spent some $ on them and are worth using.Im new to the LS world,any info would be great.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Normally I would tell you to throw them away...but since they're ported....they might do alright. Yes you need the perimeter valve covers. You need the coil brackets for a '98. I'm not sure what he means by the notch, as I never noticed anything while having my heads off. But if that's the case, just get GM MLS head gaskets for a 1998 LS1. Got mine from Advanced and had no troubles. I also assume you are going to need the bolts themselves, as I think there are several more than centerbolt covers. Good luck
Old 01-12-2010, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

Heres the quote about the notch. Thanks for the info,any other info also would be great.

If you want to use the MLS head gasket then you have to weld in the "notch" that is cast into the 97-98 heads. How do I know? I just had this done about 5 hours ago. Bought a set of used heads that were supposed to be 99 and when I took them out of the box I noticed the infamous notch. I prefer the steel gasket so I chose to have the heads welded. Other than that sounds like you are good to go.

And heres the link...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ll-i-need.html
Old 01-12-2010, 02:12 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I would NOT put 98 heads on an newer model LS1. You will have to change your PCV system to the 98 system, and you also have to give up the convenience of the coil racks. On 98 heads, each coil bolts to the valve cover individually. Major pain in the *** if you ever want to remove them.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Damian
I would NOT put 98 heads on an newer model LS1. You will have to change your PCV system to the 98 system, and you also have to give up the convenience of the coil racks. On 98 heads, each coil bolts to the valve cover individually. Major pain in the *** if you ever want to remove them.
98 Heads do not mount individual coils to the valve cover individually, that is 100% wrong. They have brackets similar to the 99+ style. 806 castings are essentially the same as 241 heads, they have perimeter bolts instead of center bolts that mount the valve cover to the heads. They have brackets that the coils mount on, that are different than the 99+.

All you need is the 98 GM MLS head gaskets, 98 perimeter bolt valve covers, and 98 coil mount brackets to use the 806 heads. I happen to have some new 98 GM head gaskets if you want them. I also have the 98 valve covers, brackets, and bolts if you need them. You can use your current PCV on the 98 heads too, the only difference is the fitting on the back of the driver side head and it is easily swapped, just a rubber fitting that you take off your 99 and pop onto the 98 head. Everything else with the PCV is the same if remember correctly.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:32 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

98's do not have coil brackets. They bolt individually to the valve covers. They are also not "essentially" the same as 241 heads. There's also no such thing as a "98 MLS" gasket. MLS gaskets weren't used in these motors until late 01 into 2002. So, "MLS" gaskets would need to be ordered based off an 02 engine, not a 98.

People like you are why misinformation is passed around the internet.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Wow, good job straightening that out Damian. I love when people correct you and have no clue. BTW, I have a set of 98 valve covers laying here and I also have a complete set of coil packs if needed.

Quick Reply: '98 Head question