Sponsored by:

Ls1/Ls6 Main Bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1/Ls6 Main Bearing question

Hi all,

Im new to this site it seems like the place to be for LS owners, anyway moving on i have a quick question for all you experienced LS builders.

Im in the process of a full rebuild of and Ls6 and i noticed something that i thought was strange when i was doing the main bearings.

The thrust bearing bore has a groove machined out for the tongue on the bearing obviously, however the top groove is wider than the tongue on the bearing and it seems to be a loose fit (not the bearing but the tongue to stop the bearing spinning). Im not sure if this is normal for this engine design or not or wether the tongue on the bottom of the bearing will stop the bearing spinning.

I can understand if people are finding what iam trying to say saying difficult to understand so i will get some photos up asap.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Even if there were no tang, or tongue, as you call it, the bearing will not spin in the bore if the bore is sized properly and the bearing is made to have the proper amount of crush in the main housing bore when the cap is installed and tightened. It is the bearing crush that keeps the bearing secure in the bore and prevents it from spinning. The bearing tang is there for a locater, thats all.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know what you are talking about. That is completely normal on the #3 main (thrust)

Shane
Old 02-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile thanks

thankyou helicoil and XtraCajunSS your help is much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Ls1/Ls6 Main Bearing question