Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston damage from valves? When is piston too bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Piston damage from valves? When is piston too bad?

Well, after my car sat around since April (due to a broken timing chain at the Orlando, Fl slp event) I finally took off my heads. Most of my valves are bent. In fact, one of my MTI pushrods was broken in two places.

My car has MTI LS6 heads (not milled), hammer cam (222/222, 561 or 3/563, 112) and MTI pushrods (stronger than stock).

My question is, how do you know when the pistons are damaged to the point that they have to be replaced? The top of the piston looks decent other than the marks from the valves (which can be filed?). On the more severely damaged pistons, the metal has a rough edge.

Also, should I replace the lifters because of this?

By the way the car has about 35,000 miles on it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Bill
Old 12-25-2003, 05:48 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More than likely the piston will be fine. Just make sure your new valve reliefs do not have any sharp edges,etc. on them.

The thing I would be worried about would be the rod bearings. The upper bearing shell probably took quite a hit.

Personally, I would pull the motor and go through it. I have worked on two LS1s were the customer mechanically over-reved the motor (3rd gear to 2nd gear) and the rod bearings on the cylinders that had PtV problems were worn significantly. I ended up going through the entire motor in both cases to be on the safe side.

Jason
Old 12-26-2003, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Jason, I appreciate the advice. I guess I need to think about it. It sucks putting money into it when it won't go any faster. Probably not mechanically inclined enough to get into something like that.

Maybe I should buy a short block.

Quick Reply: Piston damage from valves? When is piston too bad?