Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breather vs. PCV

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breather vs. PCV

So in the process of my heads/cam swap i notice my pcv tube is broke right before the the driver side splits into two tubes leading to the passenger side. Also the "Y" shape split has dry rotted and has a big hole in the side of the rubber part. I thought about making my own out of rubber tubing, then i found that a peice to split the one tube into two in a "Y" shape has so far been impossible to find, all i can find are "T"s. I am also told that a new pcv tube can only be purchased through a dealership, which i havent checked yet but im assuming its going to be pretty expensive. So my question is would it be easier and cheaper to switch to a breather, and would a breather set up work better than PCV or not as well? Anybody have any experience with any of this?

Last edited by baddbird99; 03-05-2010 at 03:21 AM. Reason: forgot to include something
Old 03-05-2010, 04:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep the PVC. I had a recent issue with another car (not LS1) and the total bill due to a non-functioning PCV was $3K. Long story but condensation can build in the winter months and wreak havoc with the internals unless you are somehwhere warm (which you're not).

You might be able to make something to do the same thing for a lot less money if the GM part is too expensive. You can run a hose from driver's side to passenger's side and a "T" from there. (I am assuming it is the same as the Vette) Other option is the 04 valley cover with the build in PCV, this cleans up the whole motor from all those hoses. I found one on e-bay with new valve covers for under $100 that someone pulled from a crate motor. Just make sure you get the correct part number.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

ya changing valley cover is not an option, i just got my motor together this week and i dont like the idea of taking things back apart lol, i will most likely make my own PCV out of some rubber tubing.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pcv

As mentioned above, KEEP your PCV as it helps in reducing Condensation inside the engine ! Even if you have to use a catch can.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cap off the passenger side and run a straight line from the drivers side to the front.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:20 AM
Staging Lane

the passenger side isnt needed? theres one nipple that goes to the driver side and one that goes to the intake, which one should i get rid of? i just checked out the part at the dealership since local part stores cant get the tube, its gunna run about $114 for the pcv tubing. so i will be making my own.

Quick Reply: Breather vs. PCV