Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ticking noise from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking noise from exhaust

just reassembled my carbed 5.3 all new gaskets and valve job, started it up yesterday with the open manifolds, 60-80 psi right at start up idled at 40 psi then i started hearing an intermitent ticking coming from the driver side back cylinders out the manifold it would come in and out at idle and you can hear it when engine revs down, i pulled the plug wire and it still did it so i pulled the plug and it was really loud. shortly after i drained the oil and was dark and silvery idk if it was from first start up or if something is getting eaten in the bottom end, so i pulled the pan off and all the rod bearings seem ok and the bores are fine exept #7 which has a small knick about an inch and a half from the top about an 1/8th" around and barely noticeable untill seen probably from rust in the cylinder from sitting before i honed it, this is the only thing i can think of that would be making the noise, is this right or could it be something else, and if it is will it be ok to run or should i get it fixed?