Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more cam questions and upgrade mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more cam questions and upgrade mods

i'm needing suggestions, steadly learning on cam's. My first question is, I'm looking into the comp cams xtremem high rpm cam 228/230 112LS. I think this would be a great mild cam for me. I was planning on upgrading to a LS6 oil pump, LS1 Patriot "Gold" Dual Valve Spring Kit, choromoly PR's. My buddy has HP tuners and I will be buying credits so he can tune it for me . I want aftermarket heads but I dunno If I can afford that along with the supporting mods of a cam and itself so:

1) how would the car do on stock heads?
2) Stock clutch be a problem or start saving for SPEC 3?
3) While there I will be changing the timing chain, Dbl rollmaster be fine?
4) what other mods am I looking at to support this cam?

Thanks for input, and IF stock heads are a no-no, what is a good suggestion to support the cam? I'm not rich and would have to dig in the couch to find the xtra change for heads. Thanks guys, answering those questions will almost put me at the checkout line to start ordering parts and getting ready for the build this summer.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:52 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadfury6
i'm needing suggestions, steadly learning on cam's. My first question is, I'm looking into the comp cams xtremem high rpm cam 228/230 112LS. I think this would be a great mild cam for me. I was planning on upgrading to a LS6 oil pump, LS1 Patriot "Gold" Dual Valve Spring Kit, choromoly PR's. My buddy has HP tuners and I will be buying credits so he can tune it for me . I want aftermarket heads but I dunno If I can afford that along with the supporting mods of a cam and itself so:

1) how would the car do on stock heads?
2) Stock clutch be a problem or start saving for SPEC 3?
3) While there I will be changing the timing chain, Dbl rollmaster be fine?
4) what other mods am I looking at to support this cam?

Thanks for input, and IF stock heads are a no-no, what is a good suggestion to support the cam? I'm not rich and would have to dig in the couch to find the xtra change for heads. Thanks guys, answering those questions will almost put me at the checkout line to start ordering parts and getting ready for the build this summer.
1) You will probably be shorted 30-40rwhp as opposed to running an aftermarket ported head.
2) Stock clutch sucks donkey ***** on a completely stock setup. Don't limit yourself to just a SPEC-3. I hated my spec 3 and loved my RAM Powergrip and then loved my RAM Twin even more. Looks like you are on a budget though so Textralia is probably out of the question.
3) An LS2 chain on the stock gears would be fine and save you some money. Double roller is a pain to jack with. I would never get another one. Been there done that.
4) Full exhaust if you dont already have one. Since your an M6 you dont have to worry about a converter.

Don't worry about the heads. They are nice, but not necessary.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
1) You will probably be shorted 30-40rwhp as opposed to running an aftermarket ported head.
2) Stock clutch sucks donkey ***** on a completely stock setup. Don't limit yourself to just a SPEC-3. I hated my spec 3 and loved my RAM Powergrip and then loved my RAM Twin even more. Looks like you are on a budget though so Textralia is probably out of the question.
3) An LS2 chain on the stock gears would be fine and save you some money. Double roller is a pain to jack with. I would never get another one. Been there done that.
4) Full exhaust if you dont already have one. Since your an M6 you dont have to worry about a converter.

Don't worry about the heads. They are nice, but not necessary.
thanks for helpful info bro. ummm so IMO defently aftermarket heads since such a huge loss on HP. what stage is the ram powergrip? my buddy has T-rex cam/head setup w/ 150 shot on his SS and runs Spec4.

big thanks on the heads up with a dbl roller timing chain, I'll look more into ls2.

I have kook's LT's, ORY, SLP loudmouth1 and LS6 intake mani, edlebrock TB, and aftermarket lid w/ K&N.

personally I really like this package from ws6store ( Because I'm lazy ) but what do you guys think. http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1406
Old 03-29-2010, 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

wait a minute, I did alil math, that link I posted included valves and rockers, I don't really need those do I? I can just buy the 228/230 cam that I WANT, the ls6 stage II heads and gold valvespring set and be straight. spend a few extra dollers but I get a harsher cam cause the link only includes a 225/229 cam.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:14 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

It's not really a loss. Its just more power to be had. Nothing wrong with a straight up cam only setup. The right set of heads can net you nearly 80rwhp in some cases, but you will most likely be looking at around $2,200 ish for a pair of those.

Yeah that link you posted seems sort of outdated. TEA and TFS and AFR are the big air moving heads that people are currently craving the power from. Also the LS6 head that TSP (I think) offers is a pretty good deal.

Nah, you dont need rockers and valves for your stock heads. The LS6 heads should come with the upgraded sodium filled valves. They are like 6-8 grams lighter than the stock LS1 valves. Lighter valvetrain is always a plus.

Clutch - Ehh, its really whatever works for you. It took me a couple before I found one i liked alot. Too bad it was $1200.

I think you are good to go with bolt-ons and exhaust. Next logical steps were cam then heads. Or at the same time which the right combo will make your car feel absolutely retarded power wise. You will be thanking yourself for getting a clutch. However if you do pick up 80rwhp from these upcoming mods make sure you pay attention to what the manufacturer suggest for clutch breakin. You can glaze those single disc clutches over pretty fast if you are expecting them to hold too much too soon.

On the cam selection. There are a few people that I would talk to first before deciding on a specific grind. Starting with Geoff at EPS as well as PatrickG on here (he is usually pretty busy, but will take the time to help you out if you are serious) Calling Thunder Racing and Texas Speed is also another good choice. Seriously though, YOU WANT A CUSTOM GRIND.

Last edited by orangeapeel; 03-29-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

do you have a part number to the cam?

what other mods do you have? how much power do you WANT? what do you use the car for?

and no, you dont need rockers, and definitly dont need valves.

springs kit, timing chain, oil pump, pushrods, and obviously the cam itself. thats it. to get the most outta this combo, you're gonna want full bolt ons, a good exhaust (3" y pipe, flowmaster merge, 3.5 or 4" out the back or dumped), ls6 or better intake.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might wanna check out www.monsterclutches.com

they are a sponsor here and are getting A LOT of great feedback with their setups. They have a great warranty to back it up, and I have seen nothing but great customer service to go with it. They are most likely the route I will take for my next clutch setup.

Patriot makes a good set of heads. Nothing like the TFS or AFR's... but the Patriots are considered a "budget" head. It really just depends if your the type that would rather wait longer and save up for "the best" or are completely fine with a budget combo... The point is, you don't wanna spend your money on the same part twice...

I pretty much agree with everything OrangePeel had to say... especially with getting an LS2 timing chain instead of the Double.

Stock rockers are completely fine IMO... except for the needle bearing issue. Comp makes a kit now that will take care of that problem.

If your getting a cam, whatever you do, make sure you have upgraded valve springs...
Old 03-29-2010, 02:46 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Wes,

I have to admit, I have been out of the LS game for about 3 years and just recently got back in with my truck. I probably from time to time will forget that there is a better alternative or new way of doing something. I had no idea about the Monster Clutches. Seems like a awesome clutch just reading up on them in the last few minutes. Sounds like yet another good route to me.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Wes,

I have to admit, I have been out of the LS game for about 3 years and just recently got back in with my truck. I probably from time to time will forget that there is a better alternative or new way of doing something. I had no idea about the Monster Clutches. Seems like a awesome clutch just reading up on them in the last few minutes. Sounds like yet another good route to me.
Glad to see you back in the game! I remember when your Camaro was up for sale... that was such a nice car!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:45 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Yeah after wiping out my gixxer I kinda wish I had it again!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

I think as I go along and get paid, I'll buy in parts...ex Ls6 oil ported oil pump one week, ls2 timing chain next payday. since these are absolute MUST's.

I did have patrick G give me some specs awhile back with my mods and intested with the car, the reccomendation was a 230/230 .600" 112LSA + 4 advance. I been thinking and may just go with a shelf cam. I had him give me this build with a "moser 9" 4.11 gears", which I won't have the money for until next year.

Yeah I think patriot "budget" heads will be fine for me, I'm not trying to jump pepsi can's with it, I just want a fast N/A track car. for now the goal is 400+ RWHP

my last question that I forogt to ask was the stock fuel injectors, 28lb right. would I need to upgrade them along with fuel pump?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadfury6
my last question that I forogt to ask was the stock fuel injectors, 28lb right. would I need to upgrade them along with fuel pump?
You'll want to grab some bigger injectors, as almost any cam/head setup (even a mild one) will have the stock injectors maxed at over 100% duty cycle.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:12 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Yeah mine were spiked at 128% after first startup on my 244/248 cam and heads.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

36lb injectors sound like a winner for a 228/230 on those patriot ls6 style stage II heads?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:05 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I would let the tuner tell you what you need to get before you end up having to send something back. Just take it easy on the throttle in the meantime just so you don't break the duty cycle on them and *boom*.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd rather see you go with a cam only setup and fully take advantage of the power there, THEN throw heads at it. ie: cam, intake, better exhaust, U/D, etc.