Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls6 cam

can i replace it with out any other things..... and the lifter wont fall right just got to rotate the cam
Old 04-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On lsx motors the lifter retainers keep them from falling down past the cam i believe. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong
Old 04-04-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

to prevent any problems you can insert some rod into the engine to prevent lifter drop.check out ls1Howto.com.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:01 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They can fall. Usually what I have done in the past is when you get ready to remove the cam spin it over hard a few times with the waterpump bolts threaded into it. You can feel it sling the lifters back up to the trays. Slide out cam put new one in right away. I don't recommend doing it this way because I dont want to be blamed for the 10 minutes of silence following the 6 hours that it feels like when you hear a lifter falling all the way to the windage tray. They have stayed up there everytime I have done it that way, I have also done the pen magnet method to just show in a write up before. Scared the crap out of me though. They glue those tips on and if they sit inside a warm engine it can cause the glue to become tacky again. Some people take (i forget the size) steel brake line and push it into the holes. 22" long I believe. Been a long time, not sure on numbers again.

When you take that LS6 cam out...I highly doubt you are going to a stock cam, so there are a number of things you will want to consider replacing during this swap. Springs, Pushrods, Retainers, Oil pump....just to name a few.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if one of your lifters falls you will be very sorry...