Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 ticking and oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 ticking and oil consumption

I'm a proud owner of a 2001 camaro ss. I bought the car in july of 01 and since then the car has had a little ticking comeing from the motor. I dont think that its the fuel injection. I know its at idle but i dont know if it does it when a rev it because of the SLP loudmouth exhaust. Also the car uses oil(3quarts per oil change) and I dont even beat the car. Another thing, I put a dual centerforce clutch in it and can bearly get the car in gear. I also put a pro 5.0 shifter in it and it winds a little bit
Old 01-06-2004, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Default LS1 ticking and oil consumption

I'm a proud owner of a 2001 camaro ss. I bought the car in july of 01 and since then the car has had a little ticking comeing from the motor. I dont think that its the fuel injection. I know its at idle but i dont know if it does it when a rev it because of the SLP loudmouth exhaust. I'm thinking it might be a bad lifter. Also the car uses oil(3quarts per oil change) and I dont even beat the car. Another thing, I put a dual centerforce clutch in it and can bearly get the car in gear, but before I put the clutch in a spring for the clutch pedal broke. I didnt know it broke off the clutch pedal and I thought that it might have been a pressure plate spring. So why I had the clutch out I decided to upgrade. I also put a pro 5.0 shifter in it and it winds a little bit.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS1s tick. Fact of life. If it's not the injectors, doesn't go away when the engine is fully warm, and sounds louder or alot different than other LS1s, you might want to check the pushrods to make sure they're ok. You can check the oilpan for rocker arm needle bearings.

Oil consumption is another common trait of the LS1 due to it's poor PCV system. There have been a few cures devised over the years such as the "catch can".

Ask your clutch problem in the manual transmission forum.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

I also use 2-3 quarts a oil change. Thats just LS1 history. Same on the ticking. There isn`t a cure for it. I can`t hear mine over the X1 cam and double springs now!!!!