Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to internal mods I have some Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to internal mods I have some Q's

backed out of selling my car so im just gonna spend more on it. makes sense to me.

okay here I go...

what I have -

stock 1999 ls1 trans am. I have replaced all bushings with energy poly bushings and just put new bilsteins on all four corners. Auto tranny has been built to hold 500rwhp.

what I want to do -

I want to put a decent cam in. Nothing to insane. I want to be able to get in and drive a few hours if I want to. But I also want that undescrible sound an aftermarket cam gives. I know the more extreme cams = the rougher idle I want.

I want to do the full cam swap with a new cam, pushrods, valve springs, retainers, seals and locks.

I also want to add the ls6 oil pump and a ls2 timing chain/gear set.

After my cam install I also plan on a new intake and exhaust system.

Do I need to rebuild the whole engine??? I have 123k miles. As far as I know it has never been worked on. Still super strong and hardly uses any oil.

Please just post up some useful info. I have read the cam guide sticky and the Install guide link found inside.

I don't have the experience required to know what is considered streetable/reliable and what other things I may need to change.

Bottom Line -

I want a somewhat choppy Idle with some more power and still be able to drive it to the beach if I want to (3hr drive). What kind of gains can I expect?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOR INPUT!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did H/C at 110k, now I'm just over 160k. With your miles I would consider also doing the heads if I was you. That way you can swap in new lifters & guide trays, you will have new valve seals & guides, you can clean the carbon off the pistons, etc.

The cam is a personal choice. From what you describe I would suggest a TSP 228R or 224R with 112lsa, something in that range.

With the auto trans matching the right stall coverter to your cam is also important.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would suggest the GMPP ASA cam. this cam you can use LS6 springs, and its VERY street friendly with a good tune. and with the 110 LSA, it hits like a ************. its a very good cam for someone looking for a decent gain in power and a cam that is very friendly on the valvetrain. (no spring replacement every 30k miles.) but it sounds like a big solid roller .700 lift cam in there. thats the best part.