Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Coolant Heater?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 12:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine Coolant Heater?

I was digging through my F-body parts CD and came to the section that says "Engine Coolant Heater" and sure enough there is a part number for a heater to fit the LS1. I didn't know GM made one of these. The part number is:

- $29.54 each list price
- $16.84 each GM Parts Direct

It didn't have a picture (only had pics for the LT1 and V6) but it says its the same for left and right which leads me to believe it is threading into the core holes in the side of the block. Has anyone see/used these? Its not like I need it out here in AZ (30 degrees is the low for winter nights ) but curiosity makes me want to know more about it.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:01 AM
12 Second Club

Do you have a pic you could post up? I think I know what you are talking about....it is on the bottom side of my block by the engine mount. I never knew what it was....maybe I do now perhaps....keep me updated.

I know you stated only LT1 and V6 pics, but probably very similiar.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Veteran

No pic.....

Are you sure thats not the low oil sensor your thinking of? There is a white/brown/tanish hex nut looking thing on the oil pan (pass side) that has a plug in it (a PITA to get unpluged).

Do you have any pics of your moon roof
Old 01-09-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chino_man279
Do you have a pic you could post up? I think I know what you are talking about....it is on the bottom side of my block by the engine mount. I never knew what it was....maybe I do now perhaps....keep me updated.

I know you stated only LT1 and V6 pics, but probably very similiar.
block heater for northern cars
Old 01-09-2004, 01:24 AM
12 Second Club

It definately is not the low oil sensor. I have perfected removing that though. Don't ask me how, my previous posts will answer that.

It is on the drivers side down by the alternator. It has 120 V written on it, but I never really thought about what it was too much before. I think it is a heater of some sort. It is a pain in the *** because I cannot remove the engine mount long bolt on the drivers side because this is in the way. I have tried removing it with no luck before.

It is funny because my car has been a Texas car since new until last year when I drove it back to Michigan.....I doubt a heater is needed in Texas. LOL.

CamaroGuy, I don't have any pics of my car that show the moonroof. It is fun to pass people on the road and stick my head out as I pass them and stare at them. They freak out.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Well that answers that question. Has anyone actually used theirs? How well does it work?

Originally Posted by chino_man279
It is fun to pass people on the road and stick my head out as I pass them and stare at them. They freak out.
...I bet......I use my T-tops to wave "Bye Bye" between shifts at people who race me.....