Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP rod bolt question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARP rod bolt question?

Looking at a set of eagle rods H beam, and I can get them upgraded with the arp2000 rod bolts or leave the arp 8740.

question is i see the rod bolts if i go with the 8740's they are rated with these rods to 700hp which is my max power goals, id like to be able to make 650whp while spinnig 6500-6800rpm.. I know ill be safe with the arp2000's but is this alright also with the 8740's at that level spining that high?

this is in a boosted motor also just incase you need to know, thats why i mentioned the hp level and rpm cause i know boost and rpms is a lot of stress on a bottom end.. just dont want to hurt something when i can easily spend 80 extra dollars and get much better overkil bolts?
Old 05-10-2010, 07:05 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by sinful7
Looking at a set of eagle rods H beam, and I can get them upgraded with the arp2000 rod bolts or leave the arp 8740.

question is i see the rod bolts if i go with the 8740's they are rated with these rods to 700hp which is my max power goals, id like to be able to make 650whp while spinnig 6500-6800rpm.. I know ill be safe with the arp2000's but is this alright also with the 8740's at that level spining that high?

this is in a boosted motor also just incase you need to know, thats why i mentioned the hp level and rpm cause i know boost and rpms is a lot of stress on a bottom end.. just dont want to hurt something when i can easily spend 80 extra dollars and get much better overkil bolts?
The determining factor isn't necessarily hp output, but the load the fastener sees as the piston and rod trying to pull the rod apart and off of the crankshaft. A fastener is like a spring, and has to be preloaded (stretched/torqued) with a force to counteract the force trying to rip it apart. ARP has formulas to determine this sort of thing, and what material and diameter to use for any given application.

If I had to guess, though, I'd think you'd be fine with a 7/16" diameter 8740 bolt.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also think I will be fine but I wanted some more opnions, so far I'll prob just buy them and call it done. I don't think I'll need the 2000 rod bolts even tho they will support more stress, it's just stress my motor won't see cause I'm not building a allout car, just a fun car with a good amount of umph!!

Quick Reply: ARP rod bolt question?