Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Burning oil through exhaust all the sudden...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Burning oil through exhaust all the sudden...

Car has been H/C for about 4 months now, Last month i added a Ported Fast 92/92 on the car and raised the rev limiter. During a tune for the FAST, cylinder #7 crushed the valves. Since then i replaced with new Manley valves the entire way through. Car seemed to be fine again, drove it around for an entire week like that.
I drove to the beach and back(about 600 miles total) this past week, never noticed any smoke or anything. It did pop the hose off the TB coolant bypass and dumped the coolant, car only made it to about 230* before i shut it off and coasted to the Autozone up the road for a new clamp. That was the only issue there.

Car drove back fine, i beat on it vs a H/C trans-am on the way home and a 2010 Camaro SS, never noticed a bit of smoke. Yesterday i went and had my true duals installed on the car(was a ORY with a magnaflow dumped at the axle before), drove home with no issues until my neighbor passed me in her Charger SRT-8. Well i downshifted and passed her and noticed a large cloud of smoke behind me. It was a little dark to tell if it was white or blueish.

Started it this morning and revved it up(after i got to work and it was warm), it definently was blueish. Ive noticed that it likes to do it on the highway when i got WOT, seems to be a fairly large cloud back there and the smoke stays for up to 30 seconds before going away completely. Or at least until i cant notice it from the drivers seat.

The car still has the stock PCV system, i just ordered the LS6 PCV stuff and a catch can and see if that helps. I did notice some oil in the TB as well, and the car has used 1qt of oil in 500 miles.

Edit: After the new valves were installed the car saw 200-195#'s on each cylinder during compression test. Guess i should just do another compression test, but for that i have to use my friends garage and tools.

Ive been reading a lot of searched threads and im still lost, it seems this arguement goes through all scenarios being argued in each post, and not once did i see where the OP came back and said what the problem actually was.

Is it just coincidence i saw this issue 20 minutes after the new exhaust got installed? Did the backpressure change effect anything somehow(vacuum?), is it possible the PCV is stuck open? I am so lost.

I can provide vids and any information you all need in order to diagnose this.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No input from anyone? really?

I looked his car over. I suggested PCV and to cap off the vacuum line from the valve cover to the TB. Now that the car has the fast that sucks alot more air in, it probably pulls more oil out from the valve cover.

Agree/Disagree anyone?
Old 05-28-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well if it is a PCV related issue, which an oil catch can will fix, it should be common to all cylinders. Do both banks contribute to the smoke? Have you looked at the plugs to see if the oil burning is common to all cylinders?

Quick Reply: Help! Burning oil through exhaust all the sudden...