Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build current LS1 block or swap with a bigger LS2/3

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Build current LS1 block or swap with a bigger LS2/3

Recently I have decided to really start working towards my goal of 500 RWHP for my 2001 WS6 M6. I have debated going a couple of different routes, but have decided against the FI or nitrous routes and would like to make over 500 RWHP all motor. I have read through the "recipe to 500 RWHP" thread on here and most of the sticky material (there's a LOT of it!). I got to thinking the other day and while it is certainly possible to hit 500RWHP all motor on the LS1 block, it seems to be pushing it almost to the edge to do it.

What are the perks of swapping to a built LS2 or LS3 instead of just trying to push my stock block? I figure it's going to need full H/C/I/E in order to hit the mark with the stock LS1, so if I have to basically replace everything anyways, would it be better to upgrade the platform? I don't race this car or do autocross, it is just a street machine that's fun for me to play with. I may take it to the track a few times after it's built, but I have never taken it as of now. Mainly I want a fun street car, not some huge cam, peak HP to thump my chest at. Useable power and lots of low end torque are key, as are road manners.

What does LS1tech think?
Old 06-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Launching!

I say go 408, the extra cubes will only help in the process. You can get an LS2 or LQ4/9 and stroke it. Hit up Patrick G or Predator Z and they will spec out a cam to suite your needs and give you some pointers to achieve the magic number.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Launching!

And don't forget Tony Mamo at AFR, the heads will be the dealmaker or breaker on any project.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Launching!

I was definitely planning on talking to PatG/PredatorZ and Tony once I've figured out which way I want to go. I hadn't considered doing one of the LQ4/9 blocks, is there a reason to go with one of those over an LS2 other than $$? I think I'm leaning towards a Gen IV just because it seems like the cost difference won't be terrible between an LS2 or LS3. If cost is close, I think I'd rather have the newer Gen motor over the older one, unless someone can give me some good reasons why the older gen would be better.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

The only reason to go with the older stuff would be to save $$. If you have the means to afford the LS3 stuff, then that will be your quickest route to an honest streetable 500whp. Look at all the LS3 Gen5's and Vettes that have hit that number to the wheel with just cam/intake/exhaust, through an IRS set-up no less. Surely you would be able to put together a more friendly combo with the right guidance and parts.