Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I'm looking for a motor...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I'm looking for a motor...

I think I'll stick this here because I need to get familiar with the insides of a v8.

I'm really new to American cars, actually right now all I'm interested in are engines and trannys I can put into my new project. I'm looking into getting either a chevy 350 small block or maybe a LS1 or an LT1 to build up and drop into my car. There's just a few things I'm trying to learn first before I go out and buy a motor though...

What is the difference between a TBI, carburator, and Tuned Port Injection? Which one would be best for a race car. I'm not as worried about streetability, this is strictly to get me to the race track, down it in anywhere between 10-12 seconds, and back home.

Right now, I can get these two motors from a local junkyard for pretty much free. They are in good condition, I think this is what they were but I don't know for sure.
5.7 crossfire from a 96 z28
5.7 Tuned Port from a 94-95 z28

I don't know what either of them are, but my plan is to build up a motor and then try to shoot maybe a 100 shot of go go juice (that's a lot for the 4 bangers I usually drive, not sure what it's like for having twice the cylinders). I don't even know if those motors are any good for that or if I should try to find something better. They're free! That's a lot of money left for exhaust, heads, cams, valves, hell I don't even know what all I can buy for a v8. Anyone wanna point me in the right direction? Anywhere I could buy a cheap motor online? Basically I just want a sick set up. Within a reasonable price, but not the cheapest either.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:12 PM
PSJ Wannabe & Attention Whore

PM SENT

Originally Posted by TheMutt
I think I'll stick this here because I need to get familiar with the insides of a v8.

I'm really new to American cars, actually right now all I'm interested in are engines and trannys I can put into my new project. I'm looking into getting either a chevy 350 small block or maybe a LS1 or an LT1 to build up and drop into my car. There's just a few things I'm trying to learn first before I go out and buy a motor though...

What is the difference between a TBI, carburator, and Tuned Port Injection? Which one would be best for a race car. I'm not as worried about streetability, this is strictly to get me to the race track, down it in anywhere between 10-12 seconds, and back home.

Right now, I can get these two motors from a local junkyard for pretty much free. They are in good condition, I think this is what they were but I don't know for sure.
5.7 crossfire from a 96 z28
5.7 Tuned Port from a 94-95 z28

I don't know what either of them are, but my plan is to build up a motor and then try to shoot maybe a 100 shot of go go juice (that's a lot for the 4 bangers I usually drive, not sure what it's like for having twice the cylinders). I don't even know if those motors are any good for that or if I should try to find something better. They're free! That's a lot of money left for exhaust, heads, cams, valves, hell I don't even know what all I can buy for a v8. Anyone wanna point me in the right direction? Anywhere I could buy a cheap motor online? Basically I just want a sick set up. Within a reasonable price, but not the cheapest either.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Well LS1's started in the vette's in '97 and in the F body's in '98. The 96 is an LT1 and the 94, 95 is a SBC w/ Tunned port injection. These older engines are ok and have a decent performance potential, but the LS1 is a better bang for the buck. Go to Ebay and search for LS1 and see if that is in your price range. If it's not then I sugest that you post in the LT1 forum on this site for more info.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Iono I'm looking for an answer to one thin in particular. Given the choice between a free Tuned Port and an LS1, I would like to take the Tuned Port if I can see decent numbers from it. What are the torque and HP #s like and is there good aftermarket support ie cams and internals bla bla bla so I can run a nitrous set up? How do you even run nitrous on a Tuned Port.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:37 AM
Launching!

I would go with the LS1 it's an the best motor GM has put out IMO.
Jimmy
Old 01-16-2004, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nobody here has posted the right info yet.

93-97 F-body was an LT1 *NOT* a "Tuned Port" motor. It's an LT1. Short runners, optispark ignition.
Crossfire Fuel Injection was in 1982 - you don't wanna go there
Tuned Port Injection (TPI) was the hi-po engine in 1985-1992 F-bodies - L98 and LB9 motors, long runners, traditional SBC with fuel injection on it.

LT1s are good motors. TPI (L98 = 350, LB9 = 305) were so-so. LS1's are lighter and make power easier (bolt on LS1 = mild heads/cam LT1). All are about the same with nitrous... leave it at 100 shot and you'll be OK. Hypereutectic pistons in all of them, don't really like the spray... There are exceptions, but better safe than sorry.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Okay I've figured it out. I think.

I think it's a 350 block with tuned port injection, 5.7 I think. I am getting it for free, that is the reason. I would like an LS1 or LT1, but I'm getting this instead. It's supposed to be from a z28. Do you know what kinda numbers I could pull at the track in a 2500lb car or so, assuming I get traction and everything? I want to run nitrous and upgrade the internals and **** like that. Can I push out some decent power?