Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

name this tune! (video)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default name this tune! (video)

my car has been having an intermittent problem with a very loud hiss/whine that seems to start when the car warms up completely, but it isn't always present either. i don't know if it's a belt whine or a vacuum leak whine or what. it's so loud that even making this video was hurting my ears once i walked in front of the open hood. one drive around town and it's hissing, two hours later i do the same thing and no noise. i don't know what it is.

also, my AC has been blowing on the feet randomly which i am told is a vacuum leak, so i'm wondering if the two are related. can you tell what the noise sounds like to you? i tried to turn a flashlight on in the video but that doesn't really help much... thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GvjYHXnfgE
Old 06-21-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you give it a tiny bit of gas does it go away?
Kind of hard to tell from your video, but I've heard a somewhat similar noise coming from the IAC opening up a lot. IE no hole/properly adjusted TB blade.
Can you figure out where the noise is coming from? put your head by the lid and see if its louder there.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

it is so loud that the direction of where it is coming from is indistinguishable. it doesn't go away if you increase the rpms, it gets louder. how do i check the iac like you mentioned?

Last edited by tuffluck; 06-21-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

It is hard to tell from the video. The first thing i would do is to take the belt off, and start it and see if the noise goes away. don't let it run for more than 15 seconds without a belt.
Your comment about the a/c and the vents switching makes it sound like you might have a vacuum leak somewhere.
I would start by ruling out the belt and the accessories first.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

does it sound like a pulley or too high pitched? belt is what i was kind of thinking, that or maybe a leaky exhaust manifold gasket or something. that'd be really tough to diagnose, but seeing as it only makes the noise occasionally, i don't know if exhaust leak is as likely.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Fastest way to check for a vacuum leak is with a vacuum gauge. Your sig suggests a stock engine. You should be able to pull at least 18" or very close to it.