Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impact of the Fast Intakes on past and future cam design

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impact of the Fast Intakes on past and future cam design

Im wondering what the affects of these new intakes will have on past and future cam design. This is in regards to a stock displacement car, cam only or h/c car. What do you cam guru's think. Should people hold off on cam selection?
Old 01-16-2004, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloppyRob
Im wondering what the affects of these new intakes will have on past and future cam design. This is in regards to a stock displacement car, cam only or h/c car. What do you cam guru's think. Should people hold off on cam selection?
It depends on WHERE the restriction REALLY is in terms of pushing air. For example there are cars down here that have large cams with heads that flow 330CFM @ .600 that DO NOT produce any more power than those SAME engines with 310CFM. Why???? Well probably because the heads aren't "SEEING" anymore air. This of course could be manifold, throttle body etc. or BOTH. I think the cam designs currently are NOT the restriction though.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did some computer modeling of various head configurations, using my database of port volumes and cfm numbers, and this intake has an greater impact on the small cross section heads more than the larger ones. I believe the latest dyno testing has shown this to be accurate though I have no information on the heads used.

As per one model, the AFR 205 with its small volume intake runner with tremendous velocity, responded well to the intake whereas some of the larger runner heads showed a smaller pecentage gain. The LS6 pieces also showed better results (percentage-wise) than expected and all combinations showed a positive number.

Remember, this is a "computer" model and not the real world. It's been pretty damned accurate on the cam profiles I do, so I trust the results.

Ed

Last edited by Ed Curtis; 01-16-2004 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont really think it will have much of an impact on cam designs...The only impact it may have is if it breathes significantly better than the LS6 in the upper RPM range 6,000+ RPM. If that is the case we may see significant gains on solid roller setups, and huge cams like the g5X2,3....