Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible spark plugs throw off tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible spark plugs throw off tune?

Installed a new cam. Car wasn't running bad. Had some knock and new spark plugs was the theory that would help draw more power. Took out old spark plugs and they we're in rough shape. Old and fuckt really. Put in new ngk tr555 now its running Like ****. Feels Like somethin is holding it back when I step on it. Def lost power. Is it possible the old spark plugs we're that fuckt that new ones would throw the tune off or is there something else wrong?
Old 06-26-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think is something else are you getting any codes?? check you fuel pressure!!
Old 06-26-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

What all has been done to the car. That would kinda help us try to wind this down, but really the only way you are really going to know this is if you go to your tuner and have him data log for you and tell you whats wrong because here we are just speculating.

Now can spark plugs throw off your tune, I have never experienced it but it doesn't mean that it can't or has not happened.

Oh before I forget if your SP where in that bad of shape am sure your wires are not in that good of shape either.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

I have LS6 heads and intake. Pace setter headers. Borla exhaust. 228/232. 112+5 cam. It was working fine until we changed the spark plugs. There was a bit of knock left in it. Less than 2% and it was suggested it may be the spark plugs and when we looked at them we figured it was cause they were fuckt. My wires are new. Why I didn't change plugs and wires at the same time I don't know. I also have a wifeband gaugar and that reads as if air to fuel is fine. I can't get on the tuner til Monday so I'm more or less wanting to know if its major or if its minor
Old 06-26-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Yates69
I have LS6 heads and intake. Pace setter headers. Borla exhaust. 228/232. 112+5 cam. It was working fine until we changed the spark plugs. There was a bit of knock left in it. Less than 2% and it was suggested it may be the spark plugs and when we looked at them we figured it was cause they were fuckt. My wires are new. Why I didn't change plugs and wires at the same time I don't know. I also have a wifeband gaugar and that reads as if air to fuel is fine. I can't get on the tuner til Monday so I'm more or less wanting to know if its major or if its minor
A set of fresh, properly gapped, spark plugs of the appropriate type and heat range will not throw off a tune. In fact, fresh plugs could serve to mask other weak components such as coils or wire. However, the process of changing plugs always introduces the possibiliy of installation error such as improper gap on one more plugs, wires crossed or not tight, and even a cracked plug.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

So its possible they were put in wrong? Cause its definitely not running right since iwe put them on. Can it damage my car? And can a computer at a gm garage or something pic that up?
Old 06-27-2010, 08:29 AM
10 Second Club

Make sure you have the correct plug. If anything go back to an ac delco plug just to make sure.

And I always have my tune done with the type of plug I plan on running. If I change types of plug then I retune.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Joe (JPH) designed my cam and suggested the NGK TR555's. I'm taking it to Canadian Tire tomorrow to make sure that the guy who put them in gapped them properly because it shouldn't be running this shitty. **** this pisses me off. It's running like ****, no pick up, bucking kind of, Def not getting all sparks.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Man that's shitty. Hope you get it lined out. Post up what ya figure out.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a wifeband gaugar
Since I'm married, I'm interested in knowing more about the wifeband gaugar?
Old 06-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry I'm doing all of this from my phone so it ducks up the spelling. I just took it out for a drive. Its Like it lost power. The plugs we took out had a big gap in them. Is it possible that the smaller gap on the ngk tr555 would be making it work Like this or should I take it to a garage and get them to recheck the gaps? Like I said before it was working fine until we changed the spark plugs..
Old 06-27-2010, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Ok, I'm assuming you mean TR55 plugs, not TR555. If they are copper plugs like the TR55, then sure, adjust/gap them (about .040" should be fine). I really think you're barking up the wrong tree unless you have defective plugs or something. Check to make sure all the plug wires are in good shape and securely snapped into place, on both coils and plugs. If you still have a loss of power, do a compression check.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

So the TR55's would be fine? They wouldn't be too cold for my set up?

1999 Trans Am WS6 6 Speed
LS6 Heads and Intake
228/232 112+5LSA cam
Pacesetter Headers
Borla Exhaust

The car was running fine, just a touch of knock that was read on the dyno so we changed the plugs cause they weren't changed in a while and that's when the problems started so I figure it's def the plugs. and I think he gapped them for .50 Would this be causing the problem?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

NGK list a 0.040" gap for the plugs for this year model. The larger 0.050" gap would theoretically make a difference only if your ignition is not strong enough for the larger gap.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Ignition is stock, only thing around there I have changed is MSD 8.5mm wires I put on a few years ago..and well the spark plugs yesterday. Any suggestions on wtf I should do. I mean, should I take them to Canadian tire to have them make sure they are properly gapped? Or should I figure the old spark plugs were that fukt up that when I installed new ones it affected the tune, and just have it re-tuned on the dyno?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Ignition is stock, only thing around there I have changed is MSD 8.5mm wires I put on a few years ago..and well the spark plugs yesterday. Any suggestions on wtf I should do. I mean, should I take them to Canadian tire to have them make sure they are properly gapped? Or should I figure the old spark plugs were that fukt up that when I installed new ones it affected the tune, and just have it re-tuned on the dyno?
If it were mine I would (as was suggested above) go back to the stock AC Delco plugs and gap (0.040") and OEM wires, carefully installed to eliminate the plug/wire issue altogether.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

The rule of thumb for a LS1 is for every 100 HP increase in power (like heads, cam, etc) you should drop down to the next colder plug which would be TR6. The TR55 plug is a half step colder than stock, so I would think it should still work. I still think the wires didn't get stuck on firmly or something like that. Still, by all means, pull the plugs back out and gap them (check for cracked insulators) or throw some TR6 plugs in there, but also check your wires. You said new wires, but what did you use? When you pulled the wires off the plugs to change them, you might of pulled a connector loose. I would use a multi-meter to check resistance of all the wires to make sure they are all the same (within a few ohms). We can't tell you exactly what's wrong, you have to start testing and checking things on your own. Good luck, I know it's frustrating.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah i'm thinking that Darkman, but I never had problem with the MSD wires before, I installed those years ago. What a pain in the dick this all is.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to keep my appointment at Canadian Tire tomorrow and tell them what i want done, I don't have the time or money to be paying this mechanic top dollar to be experimenting I don't think. And at least they will have the AC delco's in stock too most likely or even a set of Champions.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

its frustrating that I payed for like 3 hours of labor for nothing, cause he had such a hard time getting them out because of how they are poisitioned.

Quick Reply: possible spark plugs throw off tune?