Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rotate internals while sitting in garage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rotate internals while sitting in garage?

Iv got a ls1 thats sitting in my garage for the past 1 to 2 months. should i rotate the crank to kepp everything oiled and from rusting? how should i go about doing this?
Old 01-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HotRod68Camaro
Iv got a ls1 thats sitting in my garage for the past 1 to 2 months. should i rotate the crank to kepp everything oiled and from rusting? how should i go about doing this?
You can't really turn it over by hand and get any oil flow. You can throw it in a plastic bag, but if it's got any water in it it's just going cause condensation. If it's going to be much longer before you put it in something, you ought to pull it apart and throw gaskets in it. Give you a chance to see what if any corrosion has been taking place.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:07 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Scott, what about put some oil in each of the bores?
Old 01-19-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

We have had a LS1 sitting for about 2 years now. We squited some gear lube like stuff in the cylinders and spun it over with the starter. Seems to work as I havent seen any rust in the cylinders yet.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

what was the gear lube type stuff b/c you cant just put anything in and i want to make sure i dont screw up or what kind of oil and where how would i go about putting it into my cylinders?
Old 01-19-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HotRod68Camaro
If it's just going to be stored for a few months, just remove the plugs and squirt new motor oil into the bores and turn it over by hand a few times to circulate the oil evenly in the bore. replace the plugs afterwards. If it were mine i'd repeat the treatment every 6 months. And, it'll smoke big time when you start it up. Once installed and before you fire it off, remove the plugs and turn it over to prelube/buiild oil pressure and to clear out any oil standing in the bores. if possible keep it on a stand so you can easily spin it.

If you're storing it for a long period you might get corrosion elsewhere in the engine as the oil drains down. it really depends on the storage conditions.