Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple cam questions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple cam questions?

I am going to be installing a hotcam in a few months in to my 2001 Trans Am WS6 M6. I am going to get some pacesetter coated LTs and custom catted Y pipe with carsound oval 3" cats. What else would you recommend me getting to along with this cam. I want to get everything done at once while its all out of the engine. What would be absolutely needed (necessity) to go along with the hotcam to make sure it works the best. I am thinking an ASP Crank Pulley also. Any help or info would be great, just make me a list of stuff needed.

Also, my car has only 17,000 miles on it. Is it necessary do you think to replace the pushrods with hardened ones? It has never been to the track or raced much. Thanks guys for all your help!
Old 01-20-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did:

-ASP Pulley
-LS6 Intake (you already have it)
-Springs
-Retainers
-Valve seals (your in there already)
-Cam
-Timing Set (Rollermaster Double- no problems)
-All gaskets
-Crank Bolt
-Oil Pump
-My stock pushrods were straight so they were reused (I would rather bend pushrods than valves)

Swap was done at 66,000 miles.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlkBrdWS6
I am going to be installing a hotcam in a few months in to my 2001 Trans Am WS6 M6. I am going to get some pacesetter coated LTs and custom catted Y pipe with carsound oval 3" cats. What else would you recommend me getting to along with this cam. I want to get everything done at once while its all out of the engine. What would be absolutely needed (necessity) to go along with the hotcam to make sure it works the best. I am thinking an ASP Crank Pulley also. Any help or info would be great, just make me a list of stuff needed.

Also, my car has only 17,000 miles on it. Is it necessary do you think to replace the pushrods with hardened ones? It has never been to the track or raced much. Thanks guys for all your help!
Yea do the ASP pulley for sure, You wanna put in new plug wires, MSD wires are more durable and will be able to withstand more heat.,
You probably won't need hardened push rods, A guy at pace parts said the pushrods in the Ls6 and the ls1 are the same, even if they're not you won't need them.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably only need hardened pushrods if you change over to stud mounted rockers that use guide plates. The hardened pushrods are needed because the pushrods rub on the slots in the guide plates
Old 01-21-2004, 06:50 AM
TECH Regular

Default install

Home port your TB and do the FRA mod if you haven't already, put some NGK tr6's or tr55's in while your in there, 160* thermo...........
Old 01-21-2004, 07:07 AM
Staging Lane

A good LS1Edit tune. When I had a hotcam, it came to life after a tune. Totally different cam afterwards.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

Unless I missed it, you didn't say you were changing to a better valve spring for your new cam. Definitely would want to upgrade to one of the new dual springs on the market to make the most of the new cam.