Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Slap

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Slap

I was reading a tread on piston slap and did not know that so many people had it corrected. I was told not to worry about it. Is something that can harm the motor? It takes like 10 minutes for it to go away on a 65' day. Should i have it taken care of? I'm just a little hesitant to let anyone work on my car. Also, my car only has 8500 miles. I plan on having some motor work done to it, so should i have this taken care of before then?
Old 01-25-2004, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

Anyone? little help?
Old 01-25-2004, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

I am not sure if the thread you read is the one on here about mine titled "GM wants to replace my pistons" but there are a lot of posts on there about it. You may want to ask in that thread. I feel it is not good if your slap is severe and many others agree. GM however seems to disagree but that could be because of $$$.

Try posting your question in my thread about that and your engine work you have planned. I am sure someone can answer you better than I can
Old 01-25-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PG45
Anyone? little help?
My conversation with a field Engineer for GM implied that piston slap is caused by skirt collapse beyond the origonal design expectations. This collapse ends up leaving around .0024" on up to .003" skirt to cylinder wall clearance, and is typical with our motors. This ends up giving a clearance similar to Forged piston use before expansion, thats why they end up noisy and since they dont expand at the same rate as forged, it takes longer warm up to quiet down. This is not really a longevity issue but you do have the right to expect quiet operation from a new car purchase. I will live with my warm up noise untill im ready to install forged pistons myself. I wouldnt let flate rate Techs do my car(i am one) because i wont rush this type of work on my own car or let anyone else do so either. I hope this helps in your decision making.