Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning Oil Smell...Something to be worried about?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 02:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning Oil Smell...Something to be worried about?

Alright-my T/A has 119k miles on it, and mods consist of basic bolt-ons, full exhaust, and a cam..lately, I've been smelling oil while driving, or after I park the car. The oil level really hasn't dropped..(I use Mobil 1, and the level was right in the cross thatched area on the dipstick, when I checked it last which was about 3,200 miles since last oil change.) I changed the oil, and oil filter which I replaced also with a Mobil 1 filter, and now the oil smell is a little more noticable. I have hammered on it a couple of times, when a car was behind me, and watched int heir lights, and I don't see any smoke...nor does the car smoke upon start-up. I don't drip any, but there was what appeared to be a little fresh oil on m y intake manifold (down next to the runner bases). Really, the only time I notice "the smell" is when I have driven the car hard...if I just granny around, the smell is minimal, if even noticable at all. I plan on building a fresh motor, after I get a 12-Bolt with gears, and tubular front suspension...is this something I should worry about right now, or just let it slide, and keep an eye on everything?

On a side note-oil pressure is still good, and doesn't ever dip below 25-30 ish psi at a idle when the motor is hot.

I know some of these cars burn oil from the factory, as my roommates '00 z28 burned about 2 quarts every 3k miles, and I attribute some of mine to the high mileage, but any help/info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Jason
Old 02-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

Bueller??
Old 02-01-2004, 06:00 PM
wrencher

I would say it's up to you if it bugs you fix it.
It has to be leaking or pushing oil out somewhere to get a powerfull smell.
You get on it, & it makes it worse, is it leaking & burning on the exhaust?
Are you still running a PCV or a breather?
Does the motor have alot of blow-by?
Old 02-01-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chnage the PCV valve, might help

Quick Reply: Burning Oil Smell...Something to be worried about?