Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hone cylinders with less than 1 hr run time?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hone cylinders with less than 1 hr run time?

I am wondering if it's necessary to rehone the cylinders if the motor has less than an hour run time on it. I had a fresh rebuild with stock LS2 pistons and running twin 62mm turbos. I had the 7lb springs, but for some reason saw 12-15 pounds of boost on the dyno during the initial tune. The # 7 ring land broke. I am replacing all the pistons with forged. Do I need to rehone the block given that the motor has not even been broke in completely and has less than 1hr of run time on it. All cross hatching is still present and there are no vertical scratches in the cylinders.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

I would say its fine unless cyl 7 i scuffed up a bit
Old 11-04-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not if you can see them or not , but can you fill it with your finger nails. Ive tore down motors that's had a year of running on it and still see the cross hatch. The hone is there for the rings to seat to or cut away to blend the rings to the cylinder. The rings are not perfectly round nether are the cylinders but are so close that it only take a hone to blend the two together If you dont run a hone thew the cylinder you may have a chance you will get some blowby from that cylinder. That why you need to change your oil for brake end, Because as the ring cuts away the raised metal from the honing process that leave a grayish residue in the first oil change.Just rap the crank shaft with some clean rages and rehone the cylinder and use a can of brake cleaner to wash any residue out of the block that you could not wipe out.Then you ready to go and a piece of mind.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I always thought that cylinders needed to be honed exactlly per piston specs. std. pistons generally require different clearances than forged due to metal expansion rates.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:51 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if you have run the engine, some of or all of the crosshatch roughness is probably gone, which means that when you put in new rings it wont have enough roughness to properly wear on the new rings, which means It wont seat properly, which means oil consumption and a loss of power...

I would rehone.

some people would argue differently. but you have to make your own decision.. I would not ask people on here, I would only ask Pro engine builders.. call a bunch of differnt companies that build engines... they will most likely tell you to rehone as well.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

I decided to hone the cylinders. No reason not to do it right.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewhelm
I decided to hone the cylinders. No reason not to do it right.
Smart move.