Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please take a look at these bearings and journals

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default please take a look at these bearings and journals

Hey guys, Ive got a stock LS1 bottom end here with roughly 60k miles on it. You can still see the cross hatching in the cylinders, and there is no noticeable edge to catch your finger nail on in the cylinder walls. It didnt use any oil that I know of. So figured I would pull one of the rod bearing caps off and take a look at the bearing and crank journal. Below are the pictures. let me know what you think. Either I will replace the rod bearings, or just leave them and let it fly. It will be getting rod bolts as it will be spun to 7200 rpm.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

thats normal wear for a 60k bearing. the crank looks alright too as long as there are no grooves in the journal. since you already have it apart, i would take and have the rods resized, new bearings and ARP rod bolts and have the crank polished.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is no grooves in the journals. I havnt torn it all the way down, because I wanted to check and see if it needed it first. I just pulled that one cap.

I did notice also in the cylinders, I oiled them down really good, and spun it over a few times. on almost every one of them, you could see a line where it left oil in each cylinder. i would say atleast 6 out of the 8. Is that normal?
Old 11-07-2010, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 01FbTaWs6
there is no grooves in the journals. I havnt torn it all the way down, because I wanted to check and see if it needed it first. I just pulled that one cap.

I did notice also in the cylinders, I oiled them down really good, and spun it over a few times. on almost every one of them, you could see a line where it left oil in each cylinder. i would say atleast 6 out of the 8. Is that normal?
yes, because the rings seal from cylinder pressure, and if its been sitting for a while, the rings will lose their seal. a little ATF in each cylinder right before you fire it will fix that.

since you already got it down, do yourself a favor and replace all the bearings. its cheap insurance.