Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often are 98-99 blocks not rebuild able?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often are 98-99 blocks not rebuild able?

Just like title says, how often are they not rebuild able cause the .005" hone limit? I'm not looking to build a hp monster. I'd like to do a heads and cam soon but dont want to do it to a 180k short block.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the 180k block checks out ok why not?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never pulled an LS engine apart that did not still have visible hone marks in the cylinder, and I've torn down some 200k+ mile engines. The material that GM used for the sleeves is apparently very tough. As long as the engine didn't suffer a cracked ring or other damage that could scratch the cylinder wall you will be fine.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats good to know. I was planning on just rebuilding the block I got. But didn't know if the .005" hone limit pretty much made it a one time use block. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:08 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
I have never pulled an LS engine apart that did not still have visible hone marks in the cylinder, and I've torn down some 200k+ mile engines. The material that GM used for the sleeves is apparently very tough. As long as the engine didn't suffer a cracked ring or other damage that could scratch the cylinder wall you will be fine.

almost every engine I have ever pulled apart had visible crosshatch in it...and it better or its been done very wrong

the piston rings dont wear the cylinders smooth, they wear off the rough edges and mate with the crosshatch, both the rings and the cylinders have to be roughly the same hardness or one will wear off the other and be detrimental to the engine.

on 98/99/00 blocks, they are all LS1's with the exception of some vette engines which were ls6 blocks

at the most(not guaranteed)
the ls1 blocks you cam only hone .005
the ls6 block you can hone .010
either is such a small amount that you really cant rebuild if there was any engine damage in the cylinder... most dont have enough to rehone and re hatch the walls...

its is better yo just buy a new block and start over there...its usually cheaper than taking the old block to the machine shop and hoping they know what they are doing.