Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash light question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dash light question

In the upper left corner of the dash between the 2 and 3 on the tach, i have a red icon that is lit up, has pic of what looks like water or coolant with arrow pointing down..

I cant find the owner manual, so is that the coolant?
If so what can i check to get rid of the light.. all fluids in the car are at the right levels and even the wiper fluid is full(doubt that light is for that) but mentioning it so everyone knows everything was checked..

Ive gone thru the fuses and none are blown.. i have check connections under the hood and everything i checked was secure and seated properly.

So what can i check or do?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

The ind. lamp is for "Low Radiator Fluid" If you check your rad. fluid, did you check at the rad. cap, or the expansion tank? Also, if the fluid is actually at correct level, your Radiator Coolant Level sensor is probably bad. The sensor is located on the passenger side of the radiator (Cap side) towards the engine. It had a 2 or 3 wire (can't remember which) plug, and is held in with a spring wire clip. Very easy to remove. NOTE: if you remove it, you will lose coolant out of the hole. Fairly common for these to go bad. If I remember correctly, a replacement one is around $40-50.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

I had checked both, since the car had been sitting up for some time earlier this year.. all fluid were replaced.. radiator was full and exp. tank was at level mark.. ran car to circulate it and checked again and rad was barely any change, so i topped it off again.. but even after all that the lamp is still on..
Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Okay then. If your level is actually good, and the car is not overheating, I still say your Radiator Level Sensor is bad.
Here's a vatozone link to the part you need:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jd4wyZ9pehj
Old 12-02-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same thing on mine. The sensors go bad. You can replace it, but it will likely happen again. I just unplugged the harness on the left side of the radiator and the light went off. You should be manually checking your coolant often enough that the sensor is not necessary.