Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriot Heads? (not confirmed) went BOOM!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot Heads? (not confirmed) went BOOM!

Yup the title is right. My passenger side patriot head went boom.

Luckily the rest of the motor is fine. Cylinder made it without a scratch and I found all the broken pieces.
The heads didnt even have alot of miles on them since the motor only had 25000ish miles on it and was out of a 98 camaro.

What say ye patriot performance???
Old 12-31-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow thats sucks. So no idea what might have caused this?
Old 12-31-2010, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Looks like the rocker arm mount in the casting failed. Incredible!
How much open spring pressure? Lots?
How fast was it spinning when it let go?
Was the port roof heavily reshaped from stock?
I'd be unhappy
Old 12-31-2010, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MYSTIC-1SC
Wow thats sucks. So no idea what might have caused this?
Not a single clue. Id guess bad casting since I had a pin hole in the cylinder 2 exhaust chamber which leaked coolant into the header. That was $200+ to get fixed.

Originally Posted by technicalninja
Looks like the rocker arm mount in the casting failed. Incredible!
How much open spring pressure? Lots?
How fast was it spinning when it let go?
Was the port roof heavily reshaped from stock?
I'd be unhappy
Im not sure how much spring pressure there was but if my memory serves me well I was at about 3000 rpm when it completely went. The car ran terrible and made a horrible squealing sound.
I dont know what the specs were on the original stage 2 heads so I couldnt tell you if it had been ported more or not.
I am happy and mad at the same time. Happy I found what was causing all my problems but mad that it happened in the first place. I am just curious what patriot is going to say about all of this.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:32 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not contact them BEFORE you post this on the internet. You never gave them a chance BEFORE you defamed them
Old 12-31-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by koolrayz
Why not contact them BEFORE you post this on the internet. You never gave them a chance BEFORE you defamed them
Werd.

Wanna know the best way to see what they have to say? Call them.

Dont be surprised if they dont bend over backwards for you now that youve tried to call em out in a forum.

On a side note, howd you find that pin hole?
Old 12-31-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats um...incredible for 3000rpm. I would count my blessings and be thankful the rest of the motor is good.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:59 PM
Teching In

I never said anything bad about patriot and their products. I have nothing against them. I am just simply stating what happened.
Nothing more and nothing less. I won't be able to get a hold of patriot till Monday at best.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He did'nt do anything wrong! He simply stated that his head came apart, which it did!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X3
Old 12-31-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

magnaflux both heads,for more cracks.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Oh they are both getting replaced. I'm not even going to mess around with this set.
But whatever **** happens.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by garygnu
magnaflux both heads,for more cracks.
aluminum doesn't magnaflux, only ferrous metals can be magnafluxed, typically use dye or pressure check for aluminum
heads.

Does it say Patriot on these heads btw, or was it just said they were Patriot when you bought them 2nd hand?
Old 01-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fknsmshn
Werd.

Wanna know the best way to see what they have to say? Call them.

Dont be surprised if they dont bend over backwards for you now that youve tried to call em out in a forum.

On a side note, howd you find that pin hole?
After I first got done with the motor swap I was losing coolant but didnt have any leaks that I could see. Until I noticed one day I had a watery substance burning on my headers through a pressure leak on my header gasket. Smelled the steam and it was coolant. Took the head off and took it to a machine shop and they found a pin hole leak on the exhaust chamber on the number 2 piston that went straight into the coolant passage. I had them weld the spot and the car ran great for a month. Then this happened.
Originally Posted by BODUKE
He did'nt do anything wrong! He simply stated that his head came apart, which it did!
Pretty much. Just trying to be honest and state the facts.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AES Racing
aluminum doesn't magnaflux, only ferrous metals can be magnafluxed, typically use dye or pressure check for aluminum
heads.

Does it say Patriot on these heads btw, or was it just said they were Patriot when you bought them 2nd hand?
I did get them second hand with the motor. I was told they were patriot heads by the seller (which didnt know jack about the motor btw) because thats what the previous owner of the car told him.
Cant say I noticed any markings but I wasnt aware the early production ls heads even had said markings.
But I can tell you for certain that they are not stock GM heads since the motor was out of a 98 camaro and I have to use 2001+ valve cover gasket.

Last edited by Zander; 01-01-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:35 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Zander
I did get them second hand with the motor. I was told they were patriot heads by the seller (which didnt know jack about the motor btw) because thats what the previous owner of the car told him.
Cant say I noticed any markings but I wasnt aware the early production ls heads even had said markings.
i'm not siding with patriot here, but that port you show either looks like its patriot head with extra porting/polishing to the port, I don't see any tooling lines from the CNC. But I see lines like a cartridge roll went through the port.

Or they aren't patriot heads.

they do look hand ported.

It could be a patriot head, does the previous owner have proof of purchase? Or did he buy them 2nd hand?
Old 01-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AES Racing
i'm not siding with patriot here, but that port you show either looks like its patriot head with extra porting/polishing to the port, I don't see any tooling lines from the CNC. But I see lines like a cartridge roll went through the port.

Or they aren't patriot heads.

they do look hand ported.

It could be a patriot head, does the previous owner have proof of purchase? Or did he buy them 2nd hand?
He bought them second hand with the car. Original owner did all the work to the camaro. He was somewhere on the east coast if I remember correctly. Sold it to a guy in Indiana and said guy from Indiana wrecked the car ( side swiped by a semi) and I bought the motor and transmission from him to do the swap.
But as I said before the motor had 25000 miles on it. Previous owner gave me the vin of the car and a picture of the odometer and pictures of the motor removal.
since I got them second hand (third hand technically) I dont expect patriot to do diddly **** for me to be honest. Just thought a set of heads with that little amount of miles on them shouldnt blow up
And I know you some of you guys think its stupid of me to post about this without talking to patriot but this is one of those things that needs to be put out there No matter what!

The crappy part is I was going to bring the car with me to Germany for my tour but it looks like the car gets to stay home for the next 3 years.

Sigh

Last edited by Zander; 01-01-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

sucks to hear man.. unfortunately, it seems like Gunnar@ Patriot no longer works there, and i cant even remember the last time i even seen patriot post anything on this site. Your best bet is to just call them.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well since you didnt buy them directly and who knows what exactly has been done to them I dont think this thread is fair...BUT just my opinion. Sucks that you have to wait 3 years, how come?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Zander
He bought them second hand with the car. Original owner did all the work to the camaro. He was somewhere on the east coast if I remember correctly. Sold it to a guy in Indiana and said guy from Indiana wrecked the car ( side swiped by a semi) and I bought the motor and transmission from him to do the swap.
But as I said before the motor had 25000 miles on it. Previous owner gave me the vin of the car and a picture of the odometer and pictures of the motor removal.
since I got them second hand (third hand technically) I dont expect patriot to do diddly **** for me to be honest. Just thought a set of heads with that little amount of miles on them shouldnt blow up
And I know you some of you guys think its stupid of me to post about this without talking to patriot but this is one of those things that needs to be put out there No matter what!

The crappy part is I was going to bring the car with me to Germany for my tour but it looks like the car gets to stay home for the next 3 years.

Sigh
Don't take this wrong way, how can you be sure they're patriot heads?

Quick Reply: Patriot Heads? (not confirmed) went BOOM!