Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 build ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 04:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 build ????

I have a LQ4 I'm rebuilding to put into my jeep. This is my first build so I'm somewhat clueless. I was just planning on putting a LS6 cam, springs, valves, and oil pump, TSP push rods, LS2 timing set. I'm not interested in forged internals because I'm not going FI, nitrous, or trying to get super crazy N/A power numbers. The only reason I'm upgrading the push rods is because too many of my friends w/ LSx have had stock push rod issues and I just want peace of mind

From my understanding the 243s and 317s are the same except for the combustion chamber. I don't want to have to spend money on a set of 243s. I'd rather just use the 317s I already have. Will the valves work with the 317 heads and can I mill the heads to match the compression increase from the 243s? I was just going to use the stock rods and pistons with ARP bolts so I'm not sure about the PTV. Is fly-cutting an option? Once again I don't really need the lighter valves but I have to get new ones anyways due to rust on the old ones... its ****ing awesome +

How well will this be for low to mid range power? Seeing as this will be in a 90 cherokee running the woods, trails and used as my DD(eventually) and not at a track or on the road doing 100+mph I don't need/want anything too extreme. I'll be using the truck intake manifold and block hugger headers from Novak if that has any factor at all.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes you can cut down the 317's. PTV shouldn't be a problem if the machinist knows what he's doing. i would suggest an ls6 intake manifold, and at least mid length headers if you can find some that will work. your torque will be good but it could be better with the right cam. try looking into the TSP 220/220, 224r, 228r or a custom grind that is similar to these. i might also look into upgrading lifters and doing the comp trunion upgrade tou your rockers.

btw what kind of tranny are you running behind this motor?
Old 01-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info.

Im running a 4L60e and xfer case out of a 05 tahoe . I went with the 4l60 because It was cheap and simple($250 for the trany and xfer) I would love an LS6 manifold for performance and hood clearence but I just dont have to money yet and finding mid length headers for this swap seems to be a challenge to me. I wish I could slap on a set of longtubes but that is absolutly out of the question because of space. I was going with the LS6 cam because I can get a used one off my buddies zo6 for pennies. I still have plenty of time before I reassemble the engine so Ima keep looking and calling people.

I contemplated lifters and rockers but is it really necessary if I'm not going to be pushing the limit with high rpms?
Old 01-07-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

well you will be pushing the limits, 4x4 applications can be very taxing on motors. remember the laws of physics, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. just because you wont be spinning high rpms you will still be exerting lots of force to those big knarly tires. well that force travels on a 2 way street. people always beef up their 4x4 drivetrains but often don't consider the stresses inside the motor.

i just don't want you to have to tear back into that motor after all the trouble you are going through. and the problem with budget builds is that you don't spend the extra dime now, the project runs great for "X" amount of miles then something fails and that dime saved turns into dollars spent. make sense?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Teching In

That's a good point. It never really occured to me that high load stress from 4x4 style application could be a problem. I'm definatly going to look into that stuff and rework the budget a bit.

*sigh* money never used to be the determining factor till this fall... I didn't re-up for active duty army so Uncle Sam cut my allowance lol.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

active duty USMC here. i hit the deck in afghanistan in about a week. and i'm also trying to orchestrate my own build from thousands of miles away. all i can say is hang in there and research, research, research. there's always options for your budget if you are willing to do the leg work.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Good luck over there man and keep your head down. I feel your pain on controlling your build from overseas. Did the same thing while I was in Iraq with my old neon... I know, its a neon, why waste the money all that money could have gone towards paying my SS off.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Don't come to afghanistan this ******* place sucks.