Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first time engine build ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first time engine build ?'s

i'm planning on building a 454 lsx next summer. just a few things are bugging me. honestly, i don't know what all goes into an ls engine. basic stuff like valve train, rotating assy, things like that are obvious. however i don't know what all sensors are needed, among other things, for a block up build. also, what about main caps? can't really find much info on them, do they come with most rotating assembly kits? would i be better off buying everything new and hope i have everything or trying to find a cheap used ls engine and just taking parts off that?

thanks in advance
Old 01-28-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What car is the motor going into?
Old 01-28-2011, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4th gen trans am. don't know the year yet, cuz i haven't bought the car yet
Old 01-28-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Typically, the car receiving the motor transplant is your basic source for the computer, wiring harness, and the assoiciated sensors. To the extent you are using a Generation III car to receive a Generation IV motor there will be adaptor components required. Katech has a number of these. The Convesions and Hybrids section may contain more information on this too.

When it comes to the engine components, I would talk with some of the engine builder/supplier sponsors (Vegeance Racing, Texas Speed, Thunder Racing, and others) about your build. Find one you like and get most of the components from them - they will be you go-to source for information once you start your build. If it were me, I would be looking at assembled shortblocks too, because the proper assembly of the short block can be difficult if do not have access to a fully equipped shop.