Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sea Foam question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sea Foam question

Do I have to change the oil imediately after runnin sea foam through the engine, or can I wait a little while. Also, why do alot of people recomend slowly pouring most of the can and then dumping the rest real fast to stall the engine? Isn't it dangerous to do this. Hydrolocking the motor risks bending rods or valves does it not? That just sounds like a stupid thing to do. I posted this in another section, but I didn't get many responses. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What problems are you having w/ your motor?
What kind of motor?

I've heard this is a very poor/quick fix for a serious problem...alot of used car dealers use this technique.It will basically gum up your motor over time, but will do the job in the short run.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

This is in my 01 Z28. I'm getting really poor gas mileage compared to what I used to get. When I bought the car new I would get 30 on the highway and 24 mixed street highway and highway traffic. Now I'm lucky to get 23 on the highway. It consumes oil, and it pings at WOT. The car has about 45k miles and my mods are in my sig. I'm just trying to do whatever I can to get the car to run like it used to.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to have problems to want to run Seafoam cleaner thru the engine. It's used as regular maintenance to clean carbon off pistons, valves, etc. I've used the GM Top Engine cleaner may times on older engines and it works good. Never used it on a EFI motor though.

I think running most of the can slowly thru the engine cleans the valves / intake / etc. Dumping a bunch at once killing the engine will allow the cleaner to work on the tops of the pistons. I don't think you need to worry about hydrolocking the motor. You'll kill the engine before you get enough of it in the cylinders to do any damage.

It gets past the rings contaminating the oil and breaking it down. I wouldn't run more than 100 miles or so before changing the oil.