Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking piston to valve clearance

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Checking piston to valve clearance

Ok here is the deal, i am trying to figure out if i need to fly cut my pistons using the clay method. I have taken two stock lifters and filled them with jb weld to make them solid. The problem that i am having is when i go to tighten down the rocker arms both the intake and exhaust valves are compressing. I am guessing this would have to do with lifter preload being that these are solid lifters. Would i not tighten the rockers all the way to do my check( 0 lash)? I am running stock rockers to do my check. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by aaronj; 02-09-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you go about filling the lifter with JB, did you remove the spring from under the plunger, and when you put it back together, You were able to get the retaining ring back in the groove above the cup right, also I dont mean to question your ability, but you are sure that you are looking at the intake and exhuast on the same cylinder.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't remove the spring and yes i was able to reassemble the lifter correctly with the keeper. There is absolutely no play in the lifter at all. YES I am looking at the intake and exhaust for the cylinder i am checking it on.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Too long of pushrod then.. depending on how much each valve spring is compressing I don't think this would really matter much as you are checking ptv not pushrod length. Most ptv issues happen after peak lift with the valves are starting to close, more notably the intake side. Exhaust usually clears easily but its the intake you have to watch out for.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

I am running 7.4 stock length pushrods, 200cc prc terminator heads, ms3 cam, stock lifters, rockers, and gm mls gaskets. Do you think that the length is still an issue? I always thought the exhaust would be the one to worry about hitting do to valve float. But i guess if your with in recommended clearance either could make contact.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

I'm saying it is too long for your ptv check. It might still be in good specs with regular hydraulic lifters, not the solid you are using for your ptv check.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

ok gotcha that makes sense.