Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor possibly locked up...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor possibly locked up...

Well guys I just want ya'lls input, I have my idea of what it could be, but here is long story short... My budy (new to the ls scene ) has a 02 ws6 ohhh around 60k miles has always since he bought it had a nice lifter sound! Well today we had our coldest day of the winter around 0 degrees, drives his car into work 8 a.m and lets it sit all the way until closing time 5 p.m then goes to warm his car up he went to start it and nothing so he drags a charger all the way outside and thinks it was just dead battery! Lets it sit for a minute or so goes to start it and nothing I said let em go look, and I went to check car out and It had plenty of juice while explaining to him we need to get it pulled in shop because we have other issues pull it in first thing try and turn the crank over to make sure not locked up so here is the break down of everything as well as outcome

1:turn the crank over (verry hard to turn, but would turn) alot harder than a ls is traditonally suspost to be

2: put alot of juice to the battery (still same thing starter clicks)

3: went ahead and changed starter (same thing as above) motor will bbbbbbaaaaaaarrrrrrreeeeeelllllllllyyyyyyy budge if any at all

4: pull plugs (same thing)

5: so go ahead and throw bluepoint battery charger on jumping points under hood as well as a shumaker battery charger to the battery both set on engine start (still same thing) will not turn over but barely budges and seizes will not move anymore!

all fluids looked ok....

Last edited by domestic disturbance; 02-10-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there is something else going on. I don't believe there is any internal engine damage like you have stated. Is the car throwing any codes? It seems to me that is an electrical problem.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you compared you hard say your ls1 car is to turn over by hand with a breaker bar or something to how hard his is? I believe you its hard but they can be sometimes. Not trying to call you an idoit either just want to get a baseline.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, replace the battery w/ a known good one and re-test. A bad batt will run the starter slowly even w/ a charger attached.

If same issue...remove the spark plugs and crank it w/ the starter, should spin freely.

And if it still won't spin freely, it's engine removal time.

Last edited by crainholio; 02-12-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

If if wont spin freely with no plugs in it then yeah I'd say you have a problem.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

prob just a starter issue unless he is running 50wt oil. lifter problems won't stop a car from starting. and the odds of it coming apart while sitting in the parking lot aren't very good, either.

i've seen these engines blow rods out of the block by use of the starter...on startup. they're solid pieces haha.

Quick Reply: Motor possibly locked up...