Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pump failure???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pump failure???

had a problem with the oil pressure on my 2000 ta. i was driving down the highway at 70 mph in sixth and everything was fine then i heard a knocking and lost all oil pressure. the engine has 70,000 miles on it and have a mti x1 cam with headers less than 10,000 miles on it. the person that had the car b4 me ran nos in it for a little if that matters. and the car sat for a year. i had the oil sucked out and have gone threw 3 or 4 oil changes since then and have drove it for a year with no problems. i think its the pump, but wanted to get some ideas... if any one has any thing to say please let me konw i would like to know what to replace it with if thats what i need to do. that what i think im going to start with and go from there. how would i konw if i spun a bearing when i pull the oil pan. if im going to replace the oil pump, iv come to understand that i have to pull the cam and to get to the pump is that the case? and should i pull the motor to do all of this or should i take it step by step
Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

More than likely it's a rod or main bearing or few of em. Your best option is to get a replacement engine. A lq4 or even a 5.3 if need to get car on the road asap and on a tight budget. Gonna have to yank the motor , pull pan and inspect the engine. Installing new pump will solve nothing if engine is shot
Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

Don't really need to get the car one the road fast bud would like too before spring... I would like to use what ever I could from this set up and was wanting to know if stroking this block might b posible? Idk which would b better/ cheaper in the long run getting a new block or stroking? Would any one know prob what this is about to coast me?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Check out texas speed they have rotating assemblys but youl have to pay for machining and assembly. They also have short blocks and you can swap all your stuff over to it. Check them out theve got anything youl need. Sounds like a bearing sorry bro suxs. Id check out scogg n dickey they have complete ls6 crate motors search around here youl find anything you need.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NemeSS
More than likely it's a rod or main bearing or few of em. Your best option is to get a replacement engine. A lq4 or even a 5.3 if need to get car on the road asap and on a tight budget. Gonna have to yank the motor , pull pan and inspect the engine. Installing new pump will solve nothing if engine is shot
So i pulled the oil pan tonight and there where some shavings in there, not very big or very many but still there nun the less. So where do i go from her should i just make a choice on either buying a new block or blue print it? Is there any way i could get the oil pump tested and make sure that is what was wrong? or is there another reason that i couldnt get the oil to where it was needed, that would cause the knocking that i could look for to see what i need to do? any help would be much appreciated

Quick Reply: oil pump failure???