Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new guy, new project car, what's that noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default new guy, new project car, what's that noise?

Hey guys, so, I've been lurking for a while, haven't had to post anything but well.. I thought I'd start a thread for this to try and get some information.

I just recently purchased a 2000 camaro z28 with 125k miles on it. The previous owner according to carfax had it for 4 years, wrecked it once, and was pretty rough on the car. there's cosmetic damage in a few spots as well as wear in the brakes and steering rack. I'm going to be taking care of all this in short notice, but there is one thing still on my plate.. the engine.

It was my intention when buying this car to make it a "hot rod" of sorts, a nice sporty street car that could do track stuff if I were so inclined.

Here's the noise I'm getting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6drF...layer_embedded

This doesn't completely go away, you will still hear it at about 2k-3k rpm even when warmed up.

I flagged the video as piston slap as that's what I thought it may be, but i'm not really finding any videos on youtube that make this same sound or make it this clearly.

I've driven the car probably 200 miles since I got it and haven't had any MAJOR engine issues, the biggest is that the tranny is slipping a bit on occasion, and the fuel pump seems to randomly cut out when you're on the gas a bit. (I call it buzzkill mode because it's just enough to ruin your fun.)

the CEL in the video as noted by the comment I left on it is a P1133, bad o2 sensor. I have 2 new ones (needs 4 new ones..) but I haven't put em on yet.

Lemme know your thoughts. If I should be concerned, how soon I should schedule an engine rebuild/replacement.. I want to make it a priority, but I know if I'm going to try for 400-500hp range I'm going to have to save up a good bit.

Also if anyone knows a good lsx/f-body specialty shop here in Atlanta that can be trusted for this kind of stuff let me know. I know the guys at MTI do a great job, but they're for people that make way more money than I do lol. They want $2k just to drop the engine, then another to put it back. $4k and nothing at all has been done.. not exactly something I want in my budget, but I don't really have the tools here at the house to lift a car 4' in the air to get an engine out of it.

thanks!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could it be rod knock?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Sounds deep like a spun bearing. I spun a bearing on a LT1 and it's very similar. Also sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Or blower.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Drain the oil and see what kind of crap is stuck to the magnet. Or do an oil analysis. Either way, sounds like the motor has to come out. I hope you didn't pay too much. BTW, I R&R'd my motor with zero prior experience, jack stands and hand tools. If you're broke, that's always an option. You should be able to find someone to R&R an engine (just pull it and put it back in) for around $1200.00. I'd drive the **** out of it until it grenades.

Last edited by Steve Gunn; 02-13-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like rod knock or piston slap. does it go away when its warmed up? if so most likely piston slap if not prolly rod knock.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, it will go away when it warms up, but there is still a noise (I can't tell if it's the same one) that seems to occur at certain rpms every time you stop/start.

The oil was just recently changed but it may be worthwhile to drop the pan and take a look.

It has been my plan since the beginning to upgrade the engine at least with a rebuild, but I'm wondering, if it's really worn, if a crate motor might be a better route to go.