Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else thought about tack welding trunion caps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Anyone else thought about tack welding trunion caps?

Hello poeple , I was just wondering if any of You has thought about or tried tack welding the trunion bearing caps so none of them can pop off . In reading various threads and posts in this forum I've read about a few poeple that have had a cap pop off and I've also read about a few of the oil pump failures and I believe that at least some if not alot of the oil pump failures could be due to a trunion cap failure which can and will lead to engine failure . I tack welded 16 rockers succesfully (no bearing binding) and am getting ready to assemble my engine . Any thoughts , comments are welcome , Thanx
Old 02-16-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your valvetrain geometry is correct, I don't think this would be necessary, IMO.
Oil pump failures can't be related to trunion bearing if they are upgraded caged bearings, again, just my opinion.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
Hello poeple , I was just wondering if any of You has thought about or tried tack welding the trunion bearing caps so none of them can pop off . In reading various threads and posts in this forum I've read about a few poeple that have had a cap pop off and I've also read about a few of the oil pump failures and I believe that at least some if not alot of the oil pump failures could be due to a trunion cap failure which can and will lead to engine failure . I tack welded 16 rockers succesfully (no bearing binding) and am getting ready to assemble my engine . Any thoughts , comments are welcome , Thanx

Yes, I do it every time higher pressure springs are used.