Sponsored by:

LS1 Setup Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Setup Opinions

Hey Guys,

I am a long time lurker here, i mainly work with stock LS's when doing swaps but now i am going to move on and start putting in built up LS's. Im building for myself a 1968 Pro-touring 1st gen Camaro and i am planning my LS swap. I have a complete 04 5.3L that i was thinking of putting in because it is complete but i have been recently leaning towards a LS that i have. It is a 01/02 F body LS1 with a LS6 manifold but the stock f body heads. It is a long block without injectors/ rails/ MAF/ TB/or coils. I have a old Eagle 383 Stroker kit (remachined) and a futral motorsports F13-112 Cam (FMS Custom Grind Camshaft - 230"/232" .595"/.585" 112LSA - aggressive profile with a 2500-6800 RPM range, rough idle). I am not looking to build a 10 second car, just one that i can use my parts i have to make a good runner.

Questions:

1. Should i keep the stock heads or find some LS6 heads?
2. Which injectors/ Rails Should i find?
3. Should i go with a oversized TB and MAF?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-10-2011, 11:18 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some LS6 heads would definitely pick you up some power on a setup like this. The extra cubes would be looking to breath better. There are a lot of vendors that port those heads, so if that is in the budget you should see some pretty decent gains from it. Unless you are looking for aftermarket rails the stock LS1 rails will easily flow what you need to supply the motor and they will fit properly on the intake. If the motor is going to be N/A I would run a 36lb or 37lb injector. In my opinion I would not spend any money on the throttle body unless you are buying a FAST intake and throttle body combo. However you would probably benefit a little with an 85mm MAF, just make sure the car gets tuned for it or it will run very badly.