Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roller lifter question, please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roller lifter question, please help

i purchased a 98 ls1 that was apart. the person that disassembled the engine did not mark the the lifters. im debating about running the stock cam or not, but regardless of that , do i need to put new lifters in it since i do not have any idea which location the lifters come out of. i would not be asking this question except for the fact that chiltons specifically says that you should always change the lifters on a new cam and to always run the lifters on the same lobe on an existing cam. i assumed, being a roller, that there was no need to change lifters or worry about it until i read the chiltons hoping to gain some useful knowledge. also, if you have a cam recomendation for me that would be great. it will be a 3000 lb truck with a stock converter, 373 gears, 29 inch tires, headers and dual 2.5 inch exhaust and a better air intake. pretty much stock on the rest of it. it will be daily driven and gas mileage is a concern. a nice lope would be good, but not most important. performance and mileage is most important. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks kevin
Old 03-14-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes even though they are roller lifters, there is still a wear pattern tha develops, the cam actually has a little movement front to rear also. Although the circumstances are different from a flat tappet setup, it is always best to put new lifters on a new cam. a new set of LS7 lifters goes abot 130 bucks, and will probably require new pushrods as well, due to the cup position being higher than the stock LS1 lifter which I dont think you can even buy anymore. You could always clean your parts up and put it together, and it may run for a long while, or it may run for a very short while. Gotta wonder whay you got the engine in pieces... If you do decide for a new cam and lifters I would say one of TSPs torquer series cams will give you what you are after. Hope this helps
Old 03-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Do new lifters they are too cheap to have to tear it down again I just had a lifter fail and its not fun.......
Old 03-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budget racer
i purchased a 98 ls1 that was apart. the person that disassembled the engine did not mark the the lifters. im debating about running the stock cam or not, but regardless of that , do i need to put new lifters in it since i do not have any idea which location the lifters come out of. i would not be asking this question except for the fact that chiltons specifically says that you should always change the lifters on a new cam and to always run the lifters on the same lobe on an existing cam. i assumed, being a roller, that there was no need to change lifters or worry about it until i read the chiltons hoping to gain some useful knowledge. also, if you have a cam recomendation for me that would be great. it will be a 3000 lb truck with a stock converter, 373 gears, 29 inch tires, headers and dual 2.5 inch exhaust and a better air intake. pretty much stock on the rest of it. it will be daily driven and gas mileage is a concern. a nice lope would be good, but not most important. performance and mileage is most important. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks kevin
You are right roller lifters can go any place no need to mark them. Chiltons is reffering to the old type flat tappet cams.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Teching In

Default thanks guys

thanks for all of the info, i still am kiching around what to do. sounds like the safe thing to do is buy new ones if the budget allows. i will check out that cam recomendation. thanks again kevin