Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing valve springs - Help, because i'm an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing valve springs - Help, because i'm an idiot

Ok, I've never used a lever style spring compressor that bolts to the rocker arm stud. When I was in auto school we had a pneumatic compressor.

I understand the concept of how it works but... the heads are off so how do I hold the valves up so I don't damage them or can I? I'm afraid of bending a valve. Appreciate any veteran advice here.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few options...

1. use the air-tool which pressurizes the combustion chamber... This will keep the valve up!

2. use the rope method which prevents the valve from falling into the chamber...

3. use the piston up top method which IF the valve falls, it doesn't go far.

I forget the site used most often here but something like installuniversity or something could be helpful.

btw, I used the air-tool method 4-5 times without issue.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

if the heads are off the car, best bet would be to go and rent the style that looks like a huge C clamp, and has a U on the other end that goes over the retainer and spring, then you compress it together and it allows you to pull the locks and just simply unclamp it and done. with the tool that you have, it allows you to pull the springs out with the heads still on the car....fyi and someone correct me if I am wrong, the heads on an LS motor have less of an angle than that of a regular small block, so if a valve did fall, it would just slide down and hit the side of the cylinder wall opposed to an sbc, it would fall down on top of the piston. U could carefully, turn the motor over and use the piston to get back up into place(dropped a valve when did the spring swap in my car, and nothing would work, so thats what we had to do, it worked. Pen magnets do wonders also. Hope some of that helps. GL
Old 03-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Problem solved. I didn't trust myself so my old instructor let me go down there and do it. He also had me check spring pressure and install height which I was not going to do before. Everything checked out good, but it was good stuff to know.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Duffster
There are a few options...

1. use the air-tool which pressurizes the combustion chamber... This will keep the valve up!

2. use the rope method which prevents the valve from falling into the chamber...

3. use the piston up top method which IF the valve falls, it doesn't go far.

I forget the site used most often here but something like installuniversity or something could be helpful.

btw, I used the air-tool method 4-5 times without issue.
Most fail post I have read in a while. You typed all that for someone who said the heads are OFF the car. Winning is in the details
Old 03-17-2011, 02:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep... got me... Missed that one word...