Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about Cam lift and valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Cam lift and valve springs

I have a broken valve spring on my TA and I've been trying to find the best bang for my buck on valve spring kits (money is tight right now). I have a Comp Cams #54-000-11 cam with .651 intake lift and .608 exhaust lift. I found a Lunati Gold dual spring kit (springs, seals, retainers, etc...) on EBAY for $209, it is good for .660 lift. My questions are has anyone used this valve spring kit? Is .660 max lift cutting it too close with my .651 intake lift? From my past experiences, Lunati has been a high quality product, but I want to hear from the pros. Aside from the broken spring, I have oil on a few of my spark plugs which I suspect is the valvetrain. A valve spring job is definitely in my future. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lunati makes great products. Haven't used these but have read good things. I think they would work for your lift, but if in doubt call lunati and verify.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Not many people run the Lunati kit because quite frankly, its fairly new. I bought it and am running it with zero problems. They are an affordable alternative to other spring kits on the market and here's why: they run a tool steel retainer. Why? Cost savings. Take your typical PRC or Patriot duals, and you are looking at about $275 for the set-up. The Lunatis run $220 shipped from Speed Inc. Inferior spring? Absolutely not. They are all identical kits more or less except the retainer material/design. Titanium is light, soft, and expensive. Light being the only desirable trait. Tool steel is light (but just a tad heavier then titanium) , strong, and cheap. Basically 2 1/2 good traits for tool steel. The retainers are designed to be strong and light to be very competitive with the titanium counter-parts. Does Lunati manufacturer springs? Absolutely not. There aren't many companies that do. Word around the camp-fire is one of the best spring manufacturers in the country make the Lunati springs for their kit. Search around enough and I bet you could figure it out. Other options are (ding, ding, ding) PAC duals. A tad bit more pricey but their product line seems to be pretty top-notch. They may manufacture springs for other people.....Comps, PRC, PAC all come with pretty solid reputation. Patriot has had some hiccups in the past but some blame installer error...who knows.

If I can remember right, my springs had a set estimated installed height, go .660 from that and you were .060 from coil-bind. Or maybe .050 from coil-bind, I can't remember. You have to do some real number crunching if you want to compare springs on that level.