Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 budget build, input appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 budget build, input appreciated

I know for a fact that its annoying to hear questions like these, but I'm relatively uninformed about LS based engines as apposed to gen II small blocks with carborators

I picked up a LQ4 with almost no miles on it:

complete with the vortec intake and for only $500, An offer i couldn't pass up

Anyways i have read some essentials, Rod studs, head studs, good cam, stock lifters, really good pushrods, and for now, stock rockers, and good beehives to match the cam.

That's all a definite. This is going to be a protouring Chevy C10 Long bed, so id like the largest steetable cam, I have 317 heads giving it only 9.5:1 so where do i start? should i port the 317s or sell them for 243's? should i run the vortec intake since it supposivly flows better or an ls3? I can always do a different head and intake set up down the road. so what do you guys think?
As a college student its hard to spend a ton of money outright, im selling my old motor for a transmission, and my old transmission for a corvette c5 front end haha

id like a good 400-450rwh, going behind a built t56.
Thanks a bunch,
The Dan
Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by the dan
I know for a fact that its annoying to hear questions like these, but I'm relatively uninformed about LS based engines as apposed to gen II small blocks with carborators

I picked up a LQ4 with almost no miles on it:

complete with the vortec intake and for only $500, An offer i couldn't pass up

Anyways i have read some essentials, Rod studs, head studs, good cam, stock lifters, really good pushrods, and for now, stock rockers, and good beehives to match the cam.

That's all a definite. This is going to be a protouring Chevy C10 Long bed, so id like the largest steetable cam, I have 317 heads giving it only 9.5:1 so where do i start? should i port the 317s or sell them for 243's? should i run the vortec intake since it supposivly flows better or an ls3? I can always do a different head and intake set up down the road. so what do you guys think?
As a college student its hard to spend a ton of money outright, im selling my old motor for a transmission, and my old transmission for a corvette c5 front end haha

id like a good 400-450rwh, going behind a built t56.
Thanks a bunch,
The Dan
If it were me I wouldnt throw some big donkey dick cam in there. You have a heavy *** truck that needs alot of useable torque. You could mill your 317s a little bit or throw it all away and go with a ls3 top end.(Ls3 or L92 heads, Ls3 or L76 intake) Slap a much smaller cam in it and make as much power with a ton of torque. Check out www.ls1gto.com for some of there LS3 top end set ups. There cars usually require more torque to get the heavier cars off the line.

PS: Im building the same motor as you but with LS2/LQ9 pistons to raise compression with a LS3 top end. I will have under 800$ with shipping for my heads and intake all new. Get a cam and have 450-480 whp.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I went with an LQ9 also, bought some L92 heads on here bare for $350, also got the valves and springs on here. The cam is a 2002-2004 Z06 cam. I asked Patrick G about using a stock cam and he said it would be great. An LS3 intake to top it off.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Teching In

317's and 243's are the same except the combustion chamber sizes. Have your heads milled .035 to net somewhere around 65-66cc chambers, get ya a nice little 224/230 XFI lobe on 110+2 since ya got ya a nice heavy lead sled there, and you should be MORE than happy
Old 03-27-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another truck builder here
The 317's are good heads. The flow numbers are very similar to the 243's so it is not worth the expense to do that swap. The best and least expensive way to get lots of torque and HP is to have a custom cam spec'd for you. I chose Pat G...there are others too. My 317's have what was called a "competition valve job". I am sure that is just a reference the shop uses but it was some bowl blending with (very) slightly larger valves. I polished all the ports up but did not have any porting done because I did not want to lose velocity (torque) to get this ghetto cruiser moving. The custom cam was $425 with personalized spec...the head work was twice that cost (milled and springs installed too). This (cam) is by far the cheapest way to make the most torque/hp and my set-up is suppose to get me 500 chp with lots of torque. I have slightly more static compression than you but I think a custom cam spec can equal my dynamic compression so you would not be losing anything...I am guessing at this a little because I am not a cam wizard...hopefully someone can clarify. Oh, and I am running a carb and dual plane intake. Much simpler and easier to tune in my opinion.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Teching In

didnt have a chance lately to thank you guys for your input. i know a few old school guys that have delt with an ex cam engineer for comp, and got his number so thats the first place im headed, second is a ls6 intake and cable tb, and then the rest is history!

Quick Reply: LQ4 budget build, input appreciated