Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

difficult decision choosing between cylinder heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default difficult decision choosing between cylinder heads

Well I had a set of ported 317 heads for my 6.0 turbo build. Long story short they are not going to be able to be used anymore. I was planning on larger valves and milled to 63 cc. I have a lq4 based engine with forged rotating assembly, -20cc pistons, forced induction cam arp studs for everything 83lb injectors and ls6 intake manifold. I have the patroit dual valve springs with titanium locks and retainers and yella terra rockers. I have not yet measured pushtrod necessity length as I was waiting to get back the heads. I am trying to decide if I should order a ls3 head and intake setup or just go with an aftermarket ls1 style head. Will the rockers, valve springs, arp head studs, and injectors along with fast fuel rails bolt up the same to the ls3 intake and head setup also I have the bbk 88? Mm throttle body. I am not exactly sure on the size I am at work and don't have the papers infront of me. If it can all be used on an ls3 setup I will just go that route. If not I will have to look into a budget cylinder head as this project is quickly killing my bank account. I plan on running 18-20 psi out of a 76mm turbo. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Well I believe it is all different. Looks like I will be going with afr 225 as cast heads. Was not wanting to spend that much but oh well. Any suggestions on something else?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would think the 317 castings w/71cc chambers would work well to keep the
compression around 8.5 or so. Maybe find another set to send to TEA or AI
for some nice port work. With that much boost you don't want over 9.0:1
unless you're goin' E85
Old 04-06-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

If it were me from both a money and power standpoint I would do an LS3 topend with some good springs and pushrods.