Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Question...Hr 112+2

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Question...Hr 112+2

I bought a cam from a member and it is a Comp Cam on a 112 lsa but it says 112+2 on the cam card. What does that mean exactly? Is it 2 degrees advance ground in? Does that actually make the cam a 114? I am really confused. I want the cam to be really lopey and I hope that the +2 will not tame the cam. If I want to bring the powerband lower in the rpm range should I advance or retard the cam? I thought I understood all this but I have been reading alot of posts and they all seem to say something different. I read that a lower LSA would bring the powerband down. I also read that a higher LSA would bring the powerband down, so i have no idea. Also isn't a lower LSA more choppy, "harsh" than a similar cam with a higher LSA? Anyone who knows for sure and can give me an unaffiliated article (not a local post) to read on this subject I would really appreciate it. Just when I thought I knew something...... Cams are MUCH more confusing than I had originally thought.
Thanks again for the help.
Matt
Old 02-22-2004, 01:39 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

112+2 is a 112 lsa with a 110 icl which means it has 2* of advance ground in. most off the shelf cams have 2* or 4* advance ground in
Old 02-22-2004, 06:03 AM
TECH Addict

jrp is correct. It does have an ICL of 110 degrees. Adding 2 degrees of ground in advance does not change the LSA.

LSA is the number of degrees separating the peak lift point of the intake and the exhaust lobes. This is ground into the cam and cannot be changed. Intake centerline is the position of the centerline of the intake lobe in relation to the TDC of the piston. You can vary this with an adjustable timing chain by degreeing the cam.

Generally speaking the smaller the LSA and increased duration the lopier the cam. Degreeing the cam will have little effect on the lope of the cam.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, thànk-you both very much. So the LSÃ is not chànged by the +2, +4 etc. on the càm card. That helps àlot. Thànk-you àgàin
Matt

Quick Reply: Cam Question...Hr 112+2