Sponsored by:

Cam and Head question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam and Head question

I have a 99 Pontiac Trans am,
I was thinking of getting the CheaTR LS1 head and cam package from Thunderracing.com.
The package comes with:
  • AFR 210 cylinder heads
  • 99-TR-CheaTR-Cam
  • 7.425 pushrods
I wanted to know if its a good set up to go with and if anyone is running this in their trans am.
Please post pics of drive by and idles with this set up.
Thanks
Old 04-28-2011, 06:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There really is no perfect setup. Is it a good setup; sure. But there are many options out there. What is the main goal of your car? track? DD? For my personal taste, I like a decent sized cam that has a healthy chop/lope with a very usable powerband. I like the way a huge cam sounds but I don't like the laziness down low and I like the low-mid range of a small cam but not the sacrifice on the top end. So needless to say I like a mid-large cam that has great low-mid range torque while still maintaining a decent top end. A cam like that will sound badass, put down great power (that is usable), and if tuned correctly; can be easily daily driven. AFR makes amazing heads though they are pricey; If you are on a budget you can always look into PRC Heads from Texas Speed (They are awesome; guys are very helpful too), they also have a great selection of cams. Popular choices are the 228r, Torquer V.2, etc. If you give them a call or PM them on here, I'm sure they would gladly help you make a decision that would fit exactly what you want. Good Luck man!